Sign in to follow this  
CoxyLaad

MegaSquirt?

People talk of these aftermarket ECUs, and how much they cost. My mate has just puechased a megasquirt ecu with ignition for somewhere in the region of 170 quid!

you should see the features the thing is packed with! shift lights, nos control, traction control, launch control etc etc.

Its got all the features my dta ecu had, but its a quarter of the price!

Could this be the beginning of cheap mappable ECUs?

They sure are cheap, I think you can build them yourself (if you have the skills/will) for even less than that.

Does it do sequential injection, I have a feeling it doesn't.

I believe it now does sequential injection as my friend will be using his to run a 1.8T running 8 injectors.

It is constantly being developed by users of it, so there are updates to the software from time to time.

Speak to KeithMac as he is using it to run a G6016V or Martyn16v on the ClubGTI forum.

im gonna run msns on my 16vt with vw ignition and gm sensors.

you need a ignition module if you wanna run spark on a G60 as its part of the ECU but i believe v3 boards have a feature to do away with this.

keithmac has been a good source of electronics info for me as im a bit week on the transistor/resistor side of things. thanks mate.

Yeah the old squirt is quite impressive for the money.....

12x12 load sites for mapping and dual table swapping, which is great for nitrous, water / nitromethane / methanol injection, or what ever. I don't know how good TPS and acceleration enrichment is on the Megasquirt, so idling and part throttle response could be fun setting up. I also hear knock regulation is tricky on the Megasquirt too.

If you're willing to give it a crack, you can achieve great results I reckon.

It's kind of like 'Open source' for the mapping world :-)

Yeah i've heard good things on these. I have one sitting here that my mate is going to use on his 20vT Corrado. Will let you know how he gets on.

you'd be better off running it off a program you've written yourself and running it off your PDA.....with bluetooth.

come on, honestly, how good can it possibly be at that price?

From what I've read about it....pretty good. You can't honestly believe that the price offers any indication as to the quality?! The price is well in excess of the cost of the components; you're just not paying over the top to cover the development costs.

You can't honestly believe that the price offers any indication as to the quality?!

errr, well if i'm not mistaken it's generally a good rule! (although not ALWAYS the case..."designer label" clothing being a good example)

and if it's cheap, then that tells me that ther hasn't been any development.....

so why is DTA £800, Autronic £1400, and Motec (generally regarded as the best available) knocking on for £2000?? because it's in a shiny gold anodised case? I think not....

direct from their site:-

Q. What is MegaSquirt?

A. MegaSquirt is intended as an educational project for those who want to learn about electronic fuel injection.

need I say more?

A. MegaSquirt is intended as an educational project for those who want to learn about electronic fuel injection.

need I say more?

ah but mr phat sometimes those are the best things! Need I point out that is exactly how Google started up, and now look at it!

As Mr Wires says, because its developed in 'open source' it means when clever people get their hands on it and make something better, then it evolves, and it does it without incurring massive development costs.

My mate is buying one to run a Zetec locost on R1 throttle bodies so I will indeed have some proof soon enough.

Sounds very good to me.

I stand by my previous comment. Price is not an indication of quality. You hit the nail on the head with your designer clothing example and there are countless more; for instance look at the price difference between the Seat Leon and the Audi A3, built from (more or less) the same components. Justifiable? I think not.

I'm not disputing that the Motec system is a better system, but it's certainly not ten times better although it costs ten times as much. I'd like to bet that in many applications the Megasquirt system could replace the Motec management with no appreciable difference. I understand that in serious competition every little bit helps and the Motec is probably still the better option.

need to be less dismissive phat

as stated there are better systems but id expect many lack the support of ms due to it open source nature.

many a yank has good power and running from ms. yes we would all like a motec and the capabilities to individually tune each injector etc but for 95% of us and probably you included ms will do all we need and can envisage.

all for 10% of the cost of motec. ill give you my thoughts on it when i map mine. the only downside is if like me you aint too sure about some electronics as mods need to be made for most setups.

if i could buy a board swap ecu like the linkECU or Hydra for the scoobies id go for one of those everyday. even if it did cost 4x the amount.

id still like to get my hands on a motec though.