Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Brake Problems/Noise

The list of problems my car has is getting bigger by the minute. :cry:

A couple days ago my G60 started to make a noise when i breaked. Sounded very much like metal to metal, so i assumed its just the brake pads needing replacing, despite having them done in October.

Just been to a garage, and the mechanic had a look around and said

"your brake pads are fine, they look new. Youve got another problem going on. Id get it looked at by the people who service you car."

I dont trust any garages that are local to me!!

I also have a very high pitched squeal coming from (i think) the front passenger side when im turning tightly, for example a 3 point turn. It doesnt wait until full lock, it just squeals with a small turn, but only at slow speed. I thought it was rubbing, but im having no issues, and no ruined tires.

Could these faults be connected?

Also, I drove the car for 2 and a half hours last night, let it sit for 4 hours, and then got back in my car, turned the steering wheel, and a piece of metal it looks like has popped out from nowhere and is rubbing against the plastic backing onto the steering wheel. So whenever i turn i can hear metal scraping. It wasnt doing it before the drive, but is stil doing it now.

:cry: please help me, and tell me it sounds cheap, otherwise it might be heading for the scrapyard in the sky... :cry:

shaggsy it sounds like my prob had yesterday sounded awful coming from front left tyre area! really bad squealling only when turning right well it was my pas belt!

Apparently worn front wheel bearings can cause the symptoms you describe. The worn bearing allows the hub move laterally, causing the caliper to grind on the disc round corners, hence the metal grinding noises.

Not saying that is definitely your problem, but a possible one. Might be worth getting the bearings checked/replaced if just to outrule them.

On a simpler note, it's not the brake splash guard rubbing on the disc is it?

The steering wheel grinding is common. The metal tab is for the horn and needs greasing if it gets noisy. If it's fallen off completely you should be able to replace it from VW as it's scewed onto the steering hub IIRC....

iow_corrado_g60, they are not a hard job to do. At least on the back, but I reckon it will be the same up front. Remove your brake discs. The bearings are on the inside of them. Get them out, either by poking or using something else (okay, I don't remember how I got them out, but it ain't rocket science). Then use a bearing press, or a hammer and a soft piece of metal to get it in the recess. Refit everything with a sh*tload of grease and job done.

the fronts are harder,they need to be pressed in/out,you can smack them out with a hammer and drift but you risk damaging the hub