Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

NXT tech Wax (Car Polish)

Started using this recently on my R32, I've got to admit the car paintwork looks so wet, you could jump into it as if it was a swimming pool!!!!

Although applying it to the car is very easy, but buffing it off with a cloth does seem to be hard work...

Anybody else used this product? and had difficulties in taking it off?

its a wax with very subtle cleaning agents...

should try #3 wax its a better result then nxt more wetter... easier to take off as well

what's the difference between wax and polish? is polish more like rubbing compound? and is nxt tech (meguiars right?) better than gold class? (sorry I know there are threads to discuss this, but I was just trying to get a quick idea before I go out and buy a bottle for the spring clean up)

what's the difference between wax and polish? is polish more like rubbing compound? and is nxt tech (meguiars right?) better than gold class? (sorry I know there are threads to discuss this, but I was just trying to get a quick idea before I go out and buy a bottle for the spring clean up)

Polish usually describes stuff that removes minor blemishes to the paintwork, whereas wax is to seal the cleaned and polished paintwork, making iot more water resistant (water beads up nicely).

A lot of people, however, simply mix up the 2 terms, and this is where confusion arises.

Not had any experience with either of Meguairs waxes, tend to use Autoglym polish, then Turtlewax Gold Wax. Started to use BacBrite's Car Balsam, which although being produced in the UK seems to be more popular in Germany, where I got it from. Initial results are good, claims it acts as a polish and wax combined.

Tempest

#3 is the carnuba if you do #2 first thats what gives you the really wet look!

I use the 3 stage kit once every 2-3 months and then move onto gold class in the intervals between 3 stageing and it comes up very well!

idealy youd want to use the step #1 and #2 then nxt wax....nxt is superior to megs #3

if you struggle to remove nxt, you are putting on way too much...it only needs the thinest of covering

As Steveo29 says, sounds like you're putting on too much mate....

NXT wax is a multiple use product - It contains glazing oils to give a wet look, light fillers to mask swirl marks and scratches, mild cleaners to remove stains from paint and some synthetic sealant to offer some paint protection. I love NXT, but you've got to be very sparing with it in order to avoid 'oily' looking patches in the paint. The best way to avoid these is apply the wax in two light coats, 24 hours apart to allow it to bond to the car, removing the wax and buffing with a clean microfibre cloth each time - if you're not using microfibre cloths then removing NXT is major ball-ache!!

Also, if you top NXT with a carnauba wax (Poorboys Natty's Blue is my fave) it will be much more durable as it doesn't last that long on it's own.

I love Meguiar's stuff but don't rate #3 Carnauba wax at all, it's got hardly any carnauba in it and doesn't seem to last more than a few days. harder paste wax like Poorboys Nattys, Chemical Guys XXX wax, Harly Wax, or even Meguiars gold class are all better for the money!

idealy youd want to use the step #1 and #2 then nxt wax....nxt is superior to megs #3

if you struggle to remove nxt, you are putting on way too much...it only needs the thinest of covering

agreed,

Its been done before but I use the Tech wax and feel it is far better than stage 3 but it all depends on the prep. Ie what paint cleaner you have used. (I go for the Autoglym deep gloss shine)

But with wax, less is more.

a bit less than that, seriously even less than that,

then a couple of buffs

Perfic.

In my opinion, gold class wax and a separate polish does a much better job than just NXT but if your lazy :S then NXT is good.

I use a combo of Meguiars polish (can't remember the name) and gold class and then if I'm feeling energetic I'll use the extra gloss protection from AG.

With all of my cars when I first get it, I'll strip all the existing crap off with paint renovator and then build it up using polishes, then waxes and then seal it.

I also only use a wool wash mitt, megs drying towel and blade and then megs polish pads and a microfibre.

They are all washed each time and kept in seperate bags.

I'm a bit looopy

not just premium expensive waxes that give amazing wet look finishes.

MercE2209Medium.jpg

the main key is how well you actually clean the car before applying any kind of sealant wax or polish.

This is the effect with autoglyms super resin wax (red label). key is to apply a thin layer by hand (cotton cloth) on the whole car.. then leave for up to an hour and then take off with a polishing cloth before buffing with a machine polisher at 1800rpm if you have one... if not just lots of elbow work and a decent microfibre cloth

I also only use a wool wash mitt, megs drying towel and blade and then megs polish pads and a microfibre.

They are all washed each time and kept in seperate bags.

I'm a bit looopy

NUTTER!!!!!!!

I am going with the Jedis advice - hes a pro!

so how much does all this stuff cost?

Obviously I am thinking ahead as I dont have a car to polish at the moment!

Dont get me wrong... im not saying the other premium more expensive more interestingly named waxes and polishes are bad... i just dont think there absolutly nessessary to getting a greta finish.

Autoglym stuff in the shops is priced just below megs i think. About £10 for 500ml for super resin which should easily last 3 whole applications. the green label shampoo and conditioner (wash and wax basically) is also very good. I actually use a megs wash mit and their wheel brush.

jedi-knight83, so if your starting from scratch (a car covered in dirt), what steps would you go through?? e.g. what products etc..?

Ok if i was doing a full outside valet with polish i would do as follows

-Pressure rinse wheel

-Spray wheel (inc inside wheel and tyre) with AG Alloy Wheel Cleaner mix

-Agitate with AG hitech wheel brush on face and Megs wheel brush for the inside

-Pressure rinse from bottom up

-Spray, scrub and rinse again if needed

-Spray wheel (inc inside wheel and tyre) with Traffic Film Remover mix (TFR.. basically a mild degreaser)

-Pressure rinse from bottom up

-Repeat above steps for all other wheels

-Roll car forwards 1-2 ft and check wheels again. Repeat any steps if dirt remains.

-Spray TFR mix on all lower body work and wheel arches, inside petrol filler flap, door shuts, boot shuts. (if its a hot day do this in stages so it doesnt dry!! DO NOT LET IT DRY!)

Pressure rinse all pre sprayed areas including the door shuts. If your carefull no water will go inside the vehicle.

-Raise bonet and spray TFR around the gutters and the underside of the bonet, and if its a newer model car then all over engine (i tend not to do older ones as there is a highly likely hood that water will creep into a poorly sealed unit somewhere)

-Pressure rinse engine bay, underside of bonnet and gutters

-Spray AG Super Sheen onto wet plastics in engine bay, Close bonnet and leave to dry naturally.

-Pressue rinse entire car to remove any standing dust

-Use pressure washer to mix an extremely soapy bucket of shampoo (2 caps of AG shampoo)

-Shampoo entire car using megs wash mit (again if its too hot just do one side at a time and rinse)

-Pressure rinse

-Use AG water blade (rinse it first to make sure there is no dirt on it) to remove most of water

-Use any decent microfibre to remove any remaining water and continue until completely dry and water mark free. Dont forget the door shuts! (usually use one microfibre per side before its too wet)

-Use another microfibre and run an edge around lights, grills and trims to 'suck' water out of gaps (alternatively use a air pressure line or can to blow it out and wipe up with MF cloth)

-Spray lower body with AG tar and adhesive remover and use a cotton cloth to wipe any spots off. Also visually check all other body work to see if tar needs to be removed anywhere.

-You could at this point clay bar if you so desire. I sometime do this. 3m seem to produce the best one. the megs one is too hard for my liking and i still cant get my head around why they supply a silicone spray to use with it!?!?. 3m clay and pure water spray works wonders.

-It is at this point aswell you would machine polish the car to remove swirls. I use AG 03B body shop compound and AG paint renovator compound with the machine polisher set between 1500-1800rpm and using an AG blue polishing head.

-If you machine polish then once it is complete... pressure rinse the car again focusing on the shuts to remove polish residue.

-Dry as above

-Apply a coat of AG radiant wax (super resin in the shops) by hand using a cotton cloth. Cover the whole car

-Apply AG plastic conditioner using a small sponge. do everything... even rubber around the windows.

-Clean side windows with AG fast glass spray, a cotton cloth and buff smear free with a clean dry MF cloth. (can use AG glass polish if they are particularly greasy)

-Clean front and rear windows with AG glass polish. Apply with cotton cloth and leave for a few mins before taking off with polishing cloth and finishing with MF cloth

-Spray wheel arch liners with AG super sheen and leave to dry naturally

-Take off polish with polishing cloth. No need to buff to hard at this stage.

-Buff with MF cloth or .. if you have one.. Machine Polisher at 1800rpm with AG lambs wool head.

-You could then follow up with a further coat of the AG super resin or AG liquid hard wax. If AG super resin apply and remove as above.

-If AG liquid hard wax.. Apply by hand with cotton cloth. Cover entire car. Leave for atleast 2 hrs.

-You can also use AG liquid hard wax on the alloys wheels.

-Remove with polishing cloth. No need to buff hard at this stage

-Buff with MF cloth or .. if you have one.. Machine Polisher at 1800rpm with AG lambs wool head.

-Dress tyres with AG super rubber plus

That pretty much is it.

Im tired just typing it now.

forgot to say.. alot of those things are form the trade range.

TFR for instance.. cant get it at halfords

Super Rubber Plus for the tyres... you can get a tyre dressing.. but its water based and not as good.

The glass cleaner is different aswell i think as is the wheel cleaner.. basically i can mix them stronger i think where as you get pre mixed ones in halfords.