Sign in to follow this  
veedub

Fuel econonmy

So, Im after a new car, would really like somthing thats a bit cheeper to run!!

At the moment im quite liking the idea of a 2000ish passat.

What is the fuel eononmy like on the 1.8 20v turbo? as opposed to the 1.8 20v (n/a) and of course the tdi.

Cheers Now!

My B5.5 Passat TDI gives me a good 45mpg... if you can find a good diesel than go for it! This one has deffo changed my opinion of the oil burners 8)

Yeah but I really want a turbo dismal to be honest!!!

i must admit to being well impressed with the bora tdi i got for the missus, capable of figures up to 60 mpg apparently, best i`ve got so far is 55 mpg and that was on a run at 70 to 80 mph, what sort of yearage are you looking at for a tdi ?

I get around 29-32mpg in my 1.8T Passat getting across Nottingham City about 13 miles in the morning drive to work. That is actually better than my 2L 16v Corrado.

Motorway miles aren't much better - getting around 36mpg at a steady 70mph.

Another vote for the VW TDI's here... totally changed my perspective on them. Sounds a bit clattery in the morning, and totally lacks the refinement of a petrol engine.. BUT.. the fuel economy is hard to comprehend sometimes!

I've had a week and a bit of pottering around work and a drive to Oxford and just managed to get 352 miles out of £30 of derv. At the minute averaging about 42MPG on work runs and made 51.5MPG going to Oxford and back. So off a full tank (at about £46) I should be able to get over 550 miles.

Even a year on it catches me out sometimes.. i've almost made an entire month without the need to fill up!