Sign in to follow this  
woody

Induction Kit

I have been looking around for a induction kit for my 91 G60. I would like a K&N one but according to their website they only make one for a VR6. The nearrest to in design that i have found is the one for a golf G60 part number KN57-0219. Is this the one i will have to use???

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Im not sure about the K&N filter for the g60 fitting your C but i have an induction kit from Jabba Sport which has a heat shield- quite pricy at £150 but sounds awesome and gives a bit more power and looks preety good under the bonnet- contact them on 01733-211779 and they'll sort you out! :)

K&N don't do a panel for a G60 C... JR do though and I'm damned if I can tell the difference in both type and quality! Got rid of my induction kit and modded the air box... Better noise, cooler air into the charger (no carbon cannister!) better responsiveness... :)

Did you have the JR one from jabba sport? How come you didnt like it? As i would of thought that no drilled air box would be a match for an induction kit with cold air feed?

Or am i talking rubbish? (again) :oops:

What sort of sound does the airbox make?

I had exactly the same setup. A JR cone filter (not from Jabbasport, bought seperately). I ended up going back to the standard airbox with cold air feed from the removal of the carbon canister. I changed back as was more worried of the JR filter letting more dirt through into the charger. Only my opinion thats all. When I had the JR filter you would get a wicked whine from the charger on the over-run...... always a crowd pleaser :)!!

Still with the standard box I get a nice little whistle when changing gears.

Did you have the JR one from jabba sport? How come you didnt like it? As i would of thought that no drilled air box would be a match for an induction kit with cold air feed?

Or am i talking rubbish? (again) :oops:

What sort of sound does the airbox make?

It was a JR induction filter with a custom made titanium heat shield... (my mate's an aeronautical engineer! :wink: )

The problem with the induction filter is that, unless your heatshield is mega thick and touches the bonnet with a thick rubber seal, it'll still pull in heated air from around the engine, or the metal the shield is made from will heat up and warm the air around the filter...

The airbox (when modded, not drilled) and cold air feed through the C/C hole can ONLY get air from outside the engine bay where it's colder (hopefully!)

Sound? with my custom made S/S exhaust system and new gas flowed/polished/ported head? AWESOME! (until the engine expired! :roll: ) It wasn't quite as loud as the induction kit, but had a nicer note to it... kinda deeper and more meaningful! A couple of people I know thought it was a V6 when I pulled up by them.... That's one hell of a compliment for a 4 cylinder engine! :D 8)

The only way I can see an induction kit getting a better cold air feed than a properly modded air box/ CC hole is to remove it from the engine bay and put it somewhere else like in the inner wing etc...

use a digifant 8v k&n panel filter as they are the same as the size as needed in a g60 airbox... :lol:

I use a K&N panel filter in my G60 don't think induction kits are the best thing for the 'charger.

Why is a induction kit not good for a charger or at least the same as a panel.

Tis made of same material.

If its the "itll suck thru" line then ive nedver had this problem andhave used filters ranging from 20 quid upwards.

Call me a fuddy-duddy but VW put the air filter in a plastic housing for a reason. I just can't see the appeal of an unsightly orange cone under the bonnet that sucks alternator dust, hot air and oil residue off the engine.

If K&N 57is et al made such a big difference to the performance, they'd be £700, not £70. All they are marketing is a noise. A noise which they know fools the mind into thinking you're getting more power.

Personally I prefer more bite and less bark.

Kev

As Kev stated above the filter gets some protection from the plastic housing from the sh**e that gets blowin' through the grill etc. So even if the induction kit & the filter are made of the same stuff the induction kit is getting exposed to more dirt and stuff. This in turn lets more sh**e get into the 'charger causing premature wear.

Sandy

1st Buy a K&N panel filter

2nd remove the carbon Canister unit

3rd drill a hole the same size as the cc hole in the airbox directly above the CC hole.

4th run a tube the same size as the hole in the airbox down through the cc hole down to the brake duct and use that as a ram air scoop. you now have a cold air intake scooping air striaght into the airbox and still using the box and a performance filter. you may get some increased induction noise but it shouldn't be to loud.

Im still to do this myself but i plan too

Call me a fuddy-duddy but VW put the air filter in a plastic housing for a reason. I just can't see the appeal of an unsightly orange cone under the bonnet that sucks alternator dust, hot air and oil residue off the engine.

If K&N 57is et al made such a big difference to the performance, they'd be £700, not £70. All they are marketing is a noise. A noise which they know fools the mind into thinking you're getting more power.

Kev

Do you really think they dont make a difference?- have you ever had one? - i have- The throtle response is 10 times better and the car wants to pull much more at higher revs + ive never seen an orange one before! :p There usually either blue, green or red + do they not look better that a big Shoe box size lump of black plastic ? And if you put a car on the rollers before and after you will defianately see an improvement. 8)

1st Buy a K&N panel filter

2nd remove the carbon Canister unit

3rd drill a hole the same size as the cc hole in the airbox directly above the CC hole.

4th run a tube the same size as the hole in the airbox down through the cc hole down to the brake duct and use that as a ram air scoop. you now have a cold air intake scooping air striaght into the airbox and still using the box and a performance filter. you may get some increased induction noise but it shouldn't be to loud.

Im still to do this myself but i plan too

That's exactly what I did. No increase in noise levels and I know the engine is only sucking in cold air because I completely sealed the lower half of the box, bar a small water drainage hole.

Cheaper than an induction kit and just as effective, if not more so.

Kev

Kev

Do you really think they dont make a difference?- have you ever had one? - i have- The throtle response is 10 times better and the car wants to pull much more at higher revs + ive never seen an orange one before! :p There usually either blue, green or red + do they not look better that a big Shoe box size lump of black plastic ? And if you put a car on the rollers before and after you will defianately see an improvement. 8)

Yes I used to have one on my old MK2 digifant 8V. Had it on for a month, after which time it was black with oil residue and alternator brush dust. Got fed up with the noise aswell and reverted back to the stock airbox.

Orange, green, pink, makes no difference, the point I was trying to make is imo they are much uglier than a nice, neat factory air box. Do you think the exposed inner wing covered in wax and leaves and sh#t is neater than an airbox then?

On a dyno I'd be surprised if you see more than a few hp with a 57i. You might get a couple more with a 'proper' induction kit such as turn2's or BMC's.

You're also shortening the inlet tract when fitting a 57i which reduces torque. Like I say, VW didn't design the airbox and inlet tracts the length they did for the fun of it.

This is, as ever, just my opinion. If you like induction kits, fair enough, that's your choice.

Kev

I have a 57i kit on my VR.

Sorry to be so dense but everyone keeps going on about a carbon canister that can be removed to provide cold air.

Where is it?

Underneath the air box?

how easy is it to take out?

will it make a difference?

cheers

Paul

I have a 57i kit on my VR.

Sorry to be so dense but everyone keeps going on about a carbon canister that can be removed to provide cold air.

Where is it?

Underneath the air box?

how easy is it to take out?

will it make a difference?

cheers

Paul

yes its under the standard airbox,

very see here See here and here

yes cold air is denser than warm air and make a bigger bang inside the engine=more power.

Kev

Yes I used to have one on my old MK2 digifant 8V. Had it on for a month, after which time it was black with oil residue and alternator brush dust. Got fed up with the noise aswell and reverted back to the stock airbox.

Orange, green, pink, makes no difference, the point I was trying to make is imo they are much uglier than a nice, neat factory air box. Do you think the exposed inner wing covered in wax and leaves and sh#t is neater than an airbox then?

On a dyno I'd be surprised if you see more than a few hp with a 57i. You might get a couple more with a 'proper' induction kit such as turn2's or BMC's.

You're also shortening the inlet tract when fitting a 57i which reduces torque. Like I say, VW didn't design the airbox and inlet tracts the length they did for the fun of it.

This is, as ever, just my opinion. If you like induction kits, fair enough, that's your choice.

Kev

At the end of the day it's what your happy with! To be honest i find my induction kit does kinda draw alot of attetion as it's bleedn loud and where the filth is concerned is not such a good thing!

Perhaps clean that inner wing though hey- should take about five minutes! :wink:

And also why it that over the years that so many mags have tested the induction kits and seen anything from 3 bhp increase to 9bhp. Its the panel filters that give 0.5 bhp more :wink:

tis only about noise really. i agree on the power gain side. ITs good over a std filter but a proper panel. nothing in it really.

with a proper heat shield its ok though. get the carbon can out and put sume ducting in or move the filter.

the intake on a G60 starts after the charger really but i understand what you mean about a NA car although its minimal. intake manifold design affects torque levels much more than the pipe leading to the TB

as far as dust and stuff goes. with a proper heat shield its not getting any from the engine and at least you can see it straight away.

at the end of the day its each to their own init.

At the end of the day it's what your happy with! To be honest i find my induction kit does kinda draw alot of attetion as it's bleedn loud and where the filth is concerned is not such a good thing!

To be honest I prefer G60s without an induction kit so that you can hear that lovely bassy drone from the charger, utterly demonic :lol:

Perhaps clean that inner wing though hey- should take about five minutes! :wink:

True, but I just don't like the look of the empty space!

And also why it that over the years that so many mags have tested the induction kits and seen anything from 3 bhp increase to 9bhp. Its the panel filters that give 0.5 bhp more :wink:

The biggest gain I've seen from any induction kit is 7hp from a BMC carbon can on a Golf VR6. But it's no 57i, it's a proper enclosed case (like the stock airbox) with a cold air feed from the bumper area. With that in mind, you should liberate up to 5hp from a stock box with a cold air feed and K&N panel filter.

At the end of the day, unless you drive at 10/10ths all the while on a race track, you won't 'feel' that extra 7hp anyway. If you do, then you'll get used to it in a matter of hours.

I'd suggest that if you have a heavily modded engine (cams, flowed head etc) then the limiting factors would then be the breathing and exhaust, in which case you'd probably need an induction kit of some sort, but on a standard engine, gains will be minimal.

The only reason I use panel filters is because they can be cleaned and reused. I'm not overly concerned about the power gains, if any.

Kev

I am running a RAMAIR system on my VR6 with cold air feed (90mm alum duct pipe from front bumper) and although it sounds gorgeous when booting it past 4000rpm and gets lots of attention and comments - a few things I can say....

1. It gets dirty very easily so regular cleaning is a must..

2. Power gains depends on filter brand but I reckon Im seeing about 5bhp tops, throttle response is awesome and I can feel the difference but its not massive.

3. When in traffic the heat soak is ten times worse than a standard filter so you can LOSE power as the filter is just sucking in hot air and nothing else....

So there isnt that much in it and Im considering taking it off the VR at present although everyone is trying to talk me out of it as it does sound lovely *:)

One of the lads on the CCGB had (RAMAIR) one and booted it down Oxford Road.... a lovely old dear gave him the two finger salute - class :lol: :lol:

For what it's worth :

Intake (into the air filter) air temperature is much more critical on normally aspirated cars than on supercharged/turbocharged cars.

With all "forced induction" cars, the intake air is heated to a ridiculous temperature by the turbo/supercharger as it compresses the air. The important factor is the temperature when the air reaches the engine. This is where "forced induction" cars get a second chance - intercooler. The standard G60 intercooler is not very efficient at cooling the air.

Cone induction kits are great for improving airflow into the charger and give a nice "roar". I have a Jabba kit on mine and so far as I'm aware it's made by Jetex.

If you want to improve power on a supercharged car then spend your money on a decent sized front mounted intercooler.

I've got a 571i on my VR and it sounds this the mutts nutts. That's reason enough to have it for me. :evil: