Sign in to follow this  
Lippy

Nissan 300zx

anyone owned one?

general opinions welcome. What are they like to run petrol and service wise?

Cheers

Lippy

A lad I used to work with has a 300ZX twin turbo.

Petrol wise, it's terrible! He said he normally spends £80-100 a week on filling it up!

Reliability, its been fine since I've known him. The senior Nissan tech at work has a single turbo one, but he blew the turbo and now he's doing a full engine rebuild on it.

Awesome power mate, 3.0L V6 twin turbo, sound amazing and 300BHP as standard, rechip, induction and exhaust will see 360-380BHP. But as mentioned rather thirsty. Look pretty cool tho even tho getting long in the tooth now !

Cheers

lovely if not 'chaved' up. much like the corrado they look better with just a nice drop and some decent wheels. They're heavy, so they dont lend themselves to country lane thrashes but I guess you already realised that. Twin turbo is fast and thursty (as has been said) single turbo is a bit more practical but not quite as much fun. Short wheel base (2 seats only) version is rare, but apparently better (the seats are pointlessly small in the 2+2 anyway!)

Stevemac is the man to talk to - he used to have one as a company car some years back!

I've always liked em - real presence, great styling - and they don't hang about!

hrrm interesting....

I can't afford one anyway, just enjoy trawling through the classified ads! My C is costing enough this month on some general loving and being under 25 she'll be around for a few years yet before I can afford to insure a real flying machine!

(cue pictures of the Wright brothers :lol:)

Em, they are certainly not slow, they would waste a corrado VR6 BTW, 0-60 in 5.5 secs, standing quarter in 13.9 secs and top speed around 165MPH all as STANDARD.

Cheers

TBH unless its a skyline or rx7 I don't think jap will be my next car.

the 300zx look nice but will date quicker and quicker as they get older, still go like brown stuff off a shovel.

Em, they are certainly not slow, they would waste a corrado VR6 BTW, 0-60 in 5.5 secs, standing quarter in 13.9 secs and top speed around 165MPH all as STANDARD.

Cheers

For the power they have, the market they were aimed at and what they SHOULD be, they are slow. They really are nothing special. When talking about Jap cars, a VR6 is slow, so saying it would waste a VR is irrelavent. The interior is horrible as well.

I had a friend who's 300zx had had some work done and 0-60 was nowhere near that, it really was a big slow lazy shed.

Get an S14a 200SX - better looking by miles, more potential, and you can get them for around the same price. They're easily (cheaply) modified, loads of parts available. Plus the RWD fun isn't spoiled by 4WS.

Alternatively, an early Evo? The 2's and 3's are surpisingly good, and can be picked up for a good price. They look good, if a little old-skool and surprise a lot of people.

I nearly bought 2 RX7's, you have to find one that has had new Apex seals though otherwise you're looking at a huge bill.

I think you are talking about the non-turbo model, I have a pal with one, I'ts nowhere near as nippy as the VR6, a rather tasteless velour interior, lots of toys, lumbering handling, but it's well made, and not bad looking if you don't mind cars styled for the US rather than european market.

It's a pleaseant long distance cruiser, and reasonably economical in that mode, but thirsty around town.