Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

Head gasket has gone

well after suspecting the head gaskett - i had a head test and realised the worst :(

first off - is 350 quid a lot of money to get it changed? :shock:

also should i have anything else done while the chap is in there?

ie cams lol or outher stuff - not 2 shure were it all goes lol

will i have lost power due to the head gasket going?

can i gain any power by changing anything lol

anyway any advice taken on board ..

many thanks - justin

chances are its down on power with a failed gasket...certainly dont go nutting it about till its fixed

its worth having new valve guides and or stem seals whiles its off...if your flush and after more power then a ported/flowed head would be a godd idea

£350 is a fair bit...id do it myself

£350 is a very competitive garage price if you're not in a position to do the work yourself.

I agree..

I had my head skimmed and refited for that price. It was warped. The head set for the G60 was preety big. I had a tougherd head gasket fitted along with the rest of the headset.

My gasket blew at the Transmission end No1 pot I think. The coolent was washing out the bore and going down the exhaust!! Had it all done for £350. Ask about having yr head skimmed.

I would have done the job myself but was moving house at the time..Way to busy..

also after the job I had terrible trouble with the fuel lines. It seems that VW fitted wrong lines on some C's. When the rubber is old and has been disturbed by doing a head job. The hose's will not go tight on the FPR and return pipes. VW did a recall on this in the US also there were a spate of under bonnet fires in Germany because of this..

So do a check or get some new 4.8mm fuel line. They sell it in Halfrauds...

thanks lads - whats the porting head all about - how much and were lol , also what sort of gains would it produce?

a ported head has all the interanls smoothed out so that air can enter and exhaust cant exit faster....should be good for a nice increase

id imagine your looking at £400 upwards on a exchange basis...i think g werks has started to do flowed heads

well after suspecting the head gaskett - i had a head test and realised the worst :(

first off - is 350 quid a lot of money to get it changed? :shock:

also should i have anything else done while the chap is in there?

ie cams lol or outher stuff - not 2 shure were it all goes lol

will i have lost power due to the head gasket going?

can i gain any power by changing anything lol

anyway any advice taken on board ..

many thanks - justin

Whatever you do, make sure you fit a VAG metal headgasket, not a cheap pattern part that comes in some 2.0L headsets, only about 20 quid when I bought mine from VW.

Your head should be checked for warping and only skimmed if necessary, there's not much to metal to play with on a 16v head.

Porting and gas-flowing should ideally be done with the manifolds and can get you from 10-20bhp if done properly, if you do have that done then at least ditch the 2.0 inlet cam in favour of a mk3 16v or 1.8 16v (KR) inlet cam or you won't get the benetfits of the head-work.

David.

DO THEY HAVE TO REMOVE THE CAMS TO GET TO THE HEAD GASKET?

i would like to get the kr cam in but i dont know if she was already camed when i bought her lol - rr at 148bhp so mabe?

They don't have to remove the cams to change the gasket but they will have to remove them to skim the head.

yeah good luck mate, that sounds like a pretty good price to me, Had mine done recently with new cylinder seals too. cost £400.

If they haven't changed the oil, It would be adviseable to Do it yourself. water (albeit a small ammount) may well have got into the oil and vica versa.