Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

g60 thermostat - confirmation needed!

Since I'm dong a full coolant flush and replacing various pipes this weekend - I want to replace the thermostat while I am at it. From the searches/reading I have done so far it seems the housing is best to be replaced as well. What else should I be replacing? Has anyone any part numbers of these items? I'm not going to replace the water pump just now. Have also seen a thread mentioning about using a neuspeed low temp thermostat and fan switch - are these worth doing?

Any advice welcome!

EDIT: found this diagram - can anyone tell me what is needed (numbers will do) :) thanks

and also this is the url for the neuspeed stuff... http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw%20golfmk3/engine.html

Oh that looks a fun job..

As regeard the neuspeed low temp stuff. Well i don't have em fitted but I reckon they are worth it. My 60 runs well hot bud. I'm fitting my oil cooler this weekend. Anything that helps these cars must be a bonus. Err front intercooler neu speed stuff new oilcooler hmm what else can I sell to get this car ont he rd :lol:

Your best buying the stat and low temp switch seems a little pointless to get 1 or other.

Why do ya replace the housing?? Do they tend to crack or something..

You have to get both low temp bits together else it will play up.

I am assuming #13 in that diagram is the housing - but needing confirmation as i've read about sensors here and there - just not 100% sure where these bits are.... Someone lend some advice pls!!

13 is the housing yes.

It is quite an awkward job as the pas pump bracket needs to be removed to get access to the thermostat housing.

Thanks to you both so far :) I'm changing the pas pump and various water pipes etc so all in that general area...

should i be replacing the pipe clip used instead of a jubilee? Read accounts that the torque setting on these are important due to the weakness of the plastic...

anyone else used the neuspeed stuff?

Had the lower temp stat in the 'rat but not the switch - you don't need them both, and it doesn't play up if you only have one... I only fitted the stat as I wanted to get the water into the rad earlier and keep the average temps down, but I kept the original fan switch as I didn't want the fan coming on every time I stopped for 20secs at traffic lights or anything... ;) Worked fine for me...

Oh, and #13 is the housing, but mine wasn't cracked at all when I took it off, and that was on a 150k engine... It has brass inserts where the bolts go through anyway, so you're only going to crack it if you tighten the bots with a breaker bar or something! Just nip 'em up, plus a 1/4 turn for good measure and you'll be fine...

cheers for that - i stand corrected!

the housing w3as only a fiver (approx) so just got it at the same time. did you re-use the spring clip?