Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Went to a Ferrari 'Experience' Today! :)

I tell you guys.. if money were no object, I would be making way over to the Scooby Forums - that WRX just blew my mind! The 'power bulge' on the bonnet is a tad annoying I have to say but the noise and the pace of it.. it just totally took me by surprise. I can't imagine what a tuned one with another 50/100BHP feels like.

What spec was it Jim? Did you really like it that much?

I am in total agreement about the noise, there is something demonic and lush about that flat 4 sound. I much prefer that noise to the dull old Vr6 noise. How Subaru can do a boxer engine (expensive to manufacture) and decent 4x4 system, AND turbo'd for £26K on the road (new shape) is a mystery but it's a very adept package.

I've driven all my mate's Imprezas, from the first generation to the current shape and they're not thrilling, my car keeps pace easily, but fun all the same. They remind me of my old 16v Turbo feedback and handling wise. He had a 280hp jap import to begin with, with super low jap gearing and that was neck snappingly quick, but the centre diffs kept blowing. You think Rados are pricey to maintain, wait until you get into scoob world!

Looking at the badges on the back, it was labelled up as a WRX STI UK spec - no additions like prodrive exhaust or anything.

To be honest Kev I think anything pushing nigh on 300BHP would have been a riot - you're sort of used to it now with your monster VR and having driven lots of mates impreza's but for me, it was the fastest thing i've ever driven (well, till about 10 minutes later.. lol) so perhaps thats why it surprised me so much.

Like we'd barge into a corner in 4th and it just stayed so planted.. then after coming out from the apex to the exit point the instructor was just like "right - squeeze on the throttle - more, more, more" and even in 4th as you got round to about 3,500RPM it REALLY got into its stride and the surge of torque was just enough to hold you back in your seat. And as you say the noise was quite deep but accentuated with a nice whistle once the car really got into its stride.. it was all very intoxicating, and for me, just helped proved how much I just LOVE cars and LOVE driving.

I think what did it for me was the fact that it offered near enough Ferrari levels of performance - and kept the power and the handling really accessible - whereas in the Ferrari, I personally felt a little afraid to really plant it through a corner as I expected the back end to try and overtake me as I have no experience with rear engine / rear wheel drive cars ;)

That's 4WD for you! The STI WRX is around 300hp on the current shape (not bug eye). Jap Spec C is 350hp IIRC. The one you drove is leauges ahead of the "classic" impreza grip wise and you should try one on a B road in the wet if you think it was good on a track!

Glad you enjoyed your day out!

I've been on one of these. i was gutted when I got there and found out that there was no "track" just a poxy strip of airstrip to ppotle up and down!

Had a drive of a dog old 348TB, which was utter crap, and no quicker than my old VR6 and had THE worst gearchange I've ever experienced in my life. Then ther 355, which was damn powerful, but horrible to drive.

I had more fun doing dounts in a 2.0 DAX rush around a coned out course than I did in the ferrari.s

Finally, a go in a full on STI Version 7 WRX rally car. That thing absolutely flew, again, only in a straight line, but it was much better than either of the poxy "stallions".

I never want to drive a Porsche. You know what they say, don't meet your hero.......

sounds excellent. Every birthday and christmas when the mrs has asked what i want the answer has been 'rally day' im still waiting though! :roll:

Friends of mine spent £700 each and spent a day at Palmers Auto Drome in Bedfordshire. They had many races in all sorts and it was a 10+ hr day with meals thrown in. They raced clio Cups, single seater racers and loads more. They said that it was value for money and the best day out they had ever had, but they have the stuff coming out there ears.

The funny thing was that the Auto drome offered a free 'open day' to local residents, a kind of sorry for all the noise we make every day. I missed it but another friend of mine managed to hit a puddle and write of a Single seater jag.

I never want to drive a Porsche. You know what they say, don't meet your hero.......

I dunno mate.. I think the Porsche is one of the heros that wont be a dissapointment. I will book a day in a 911 Turbo.. I personally feel it'll be everything I ever hoped it would be! :)

The 355 was everything I imagined an italian supercar to be.. heavy, awkward, and it had plenty of quirks. Application of the throttle regardless of how carefully you did it resulted in a bit of a jolt before any kind of normal driving could be done. And the interior styling.. i'm sorry but I think even the very retro Corrado interior is better actually! ;)

the interior is pants. in fact, that was one of my first thoughts after stepping in tho the 355 "oh look, recaros, just like my corrado seats"

Kev, I think it's time Jim had a go in your C ;) :lol:

Phat - you didn't buy that 'experience' day from a bloke down at the market did you? :lol:

The 355 was everything I imagined an italian supercar to be.. heavy, awkward, and it had plenty of quirks.

mate of mine let me have a spin in his 355 a while ago, didnt go too smoothly at first::

got in, foot on stuck throttle in neutral with my knee jammed under steering wheel! rmrmrmrmrmrmrmrmr!!!!

pulled onto `private road` tapped the brake but also hit the throttle rmrmrmrmrmrrmrm :oops:

after that was ok though, bottled it about 130 (he`d taken to 165) didnt fancy the bill!

booted it to nearly 90 in second. hell`ova noise!

pulled up and soon after had a fitty who`d never spoken to me before come up and start a conversation:

"hi, just saw you pull up in your car"

"which one, red (F) or blue ©.... then pissed my self laughing and she walked away :lol: couldn`t keep the blag going!!!

pulled up and soon after had a fitty who`d never spoken to me before come up and start a conversation:

"hi, just saw you pull up in your car"

"which one, red (F) or blue ©.... then pissed my self laughing and she walked away :lol: couldn`t keep the blag going!!!

WEAK!! Just think of the possibilities!!

Kev, I think it's time Jim had a go in your C ;) :lol:

I've been for a quick passenger 'scare' but I don't think he'll give me the keys somehow no matter how nicely I ask! :)

I'm totally jealous! Sounds brilliant, and good value too. Nice one mate.

The Scoob is such good value. Before I bought the vRS, I shopped around, and managed to find brand new WRX for around £15k. Just not big enough though, and just out of reach financially. The sportswagon was well over £16k. When you think how much all the hot hatches cost, that price is astonishing. Cupras, Type-Rs, GTIs are all more costly. I know what I'd rather have! One day maybe!

Oh yeh, that sound! There's one around the corner and it sounds gorgeous.