Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Different size brakes

This sounds like a simple stupid question to me, but i dont know, so i will ask anyway, at the risk of being flamed.

With standard brakes (on a G60) the front are 280mm and the back 226mm. Is it possible and does it make a difference if all 4 discs are 280mm?

It seems logical to me, but that doesnt really mean anything... :help:

More brake bias is required at the front on a fwd car, thats why the discs are bigger, a rear brake upgrade is difficult as the discs incorporate the wheel bearings unlike the fronts...

You don’t want or need larger brakes on the rear, they will cause the rear end to step-out under hard braking, many peeps on here lower there cars and don’t adjust the rear compensator to suit causing too much rear end braking and a lot of crashes are caused by this...

The standard ones are fine.

What are you supposed to do to the compensator when you have lowered it, is it just a case of unbolting the bit that moves and re-attaching at a different point on its travel.

What are you supposed to do to the compensator when you have lowered it, is it just a case of unbolting the bit that moves and re-attaching at a different point on its travel.

Yes, as you lower the car the compensator rod will be pulled down opening up the compensator valve, slacken the bolt in the slot groove on the axel and move it up to close the valve.

I did this and the brake results was, before 25% rear brake efficiency and after the brakes were 16%

Still after all that and giving the car some hamer the back end can still feel loose under heavy braking but much improved 8)