Sign in to follow this  
craig 1010cc

No main beam!!!!!

I dorve my rado in the dark for the first time last night (i've only had it a week) and to my surprise, when I switched to main beam the world went dark! The blue LED comes on so I'm assuming that the switch is fine and as yet I haven't checked anything but I would be surprised if both bulbs had blown (but you never know)

Any sugestions?

Does the rados have a seperate bulb for main or is a a H4 dip/ main combined?

Is there a seperate fuse for main beam?

Could it be a relay?

Cheers

Craig

Do you have an uprated loom?

Spade connectors going into the back of the headlamp units would be the biggest giveaway ... (if you weren't sure if it had or not).

I'm having the same problem too, I've checked the bulbs and fuses and they are all fine, it's got an uprated loom and all the connections are fine too, I'm not sure if one of the relays on the uprated section has failed, would this cause this? Where is the standard relay i.e on a car without uprated loom?

Easy way to test. Take the uprated loom off the passenger side (it's easier) and plug in the standard plug. then try full beam and see what you get.

this happened to me last week. th relay failed on the main beam side of the uprated loom. just swap the relays over on the loom and then the full beam should work and the dipped beam wont.

just plug in a new 40A relay and bobs your uncle

Rob

It happened to me too,

I would check the fuse holders on the headlight loom,

water gets in there and oxidises and no current can pass through it.

I bought waterproof fuse holders and has been great since 8)

i had this problem too, got some switching relays but must be the wrong ones. can anyone one point me to a link that shows some good quality ones ? waterproof sounds good.

Had a quick look last night and it has got what looks like an uprated loom (spades on the bulbs) so I'll try swaping ove the relays and see what happens.

How did you get on?

I really need to sort mine out as i have no dipped beam, just side lights and main beam. I end up driving with just the fogs and side lights on so i can see and not blind everyone :oops:

Where can you buy the relay from for the uprated loom and how much? Is there one somewhere else on my VR6 that i can try in its place?

the relays are a couple of quid from any electrical place. they are 40A 12V DC automotive relays. i wouldnt borrow one from another part of your car as it could all end in disaster!!