Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

removing engine - 1 man job?

Hi All,

I've disconnected everything except the driveshafts from my engine/box and want to take it out. I still the the front panel on.

What's the best way to go from here?

A mate said to disconnect the subframe and drag the engine out but I'm not entirely sure where he's referring to, any advice?

if you take the slam panel off and the front cross member you will be able to pull the engine out with it balanced on a trolley jack,henny did his like that,but i took the easy option and bought my self an engine hoist

Ideally you want 2 trolley jacks, 1 under the gearbox and the other under the engine, then just pull it out. You can do it with 1 but it gets a bit wobbly and mind you feet!.

Thanks guys - starting to lose the light and couldn't crack the front mount, so I've left it for today (can't leave the car with no front on overnight). Shame as I was looking forward to getting my new engine today (got nowhere to store it so have to get it when I'm ready to put it in).

Made pretty good progress today though really. All fluids drained, wiring d/c'd, everything else out except ABS stuff and all but the front mount and driveshafts nuts cracked. Going to take an afternoon off this week and get it finished

I took the front off and pulled the motor forward on the hoist, didn`t fanck dropping the subframe (captive nuts are prone to shearing and the steering rack`s bolted to it).

i always take the front end off and pull the engine out on a jack. if not, push the car back from the engine

yup, mine came out on a bread tray (kinda like a steel skateboard, or a cut down shopping trolley frame) all on my lonesome when I first did it, although I had a mate to help when I did it again, but that was 'cos it was in a car-park and not in my nice level garage! :lol: :twisted:

Full front end off is DEFINATELY the easiest way of doing it, and if you're sneaky like me, you can remove the P/S pump from the engine first and then just hook the lower front panel over to one side so you don't have to drain the P/S system! ;) :lol: