Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Tippety Tap

Right, been searching all morning and got plenty of ideas but need clarification just to be on the safe side.

Getting tapping noise from the engine (not opened bonnet yet) which sounds like I've got clickety clackers on it. They get faster the quicker the engine is revving not the speed of the car.

On the weekend I had someone look at the aircon, pressure is fine but he said its either the aircon pump or wiring (we left it there). He did say that my aux/drive belt?? (goes round the aircon, alternator etc) was worn, slightly cracking. Now he did poke around the aircon pump thingy by pushing the plate in to try and clear any possible rust between them when the engine was running, not sure if that makes a difference,

Although I have no proof of it, the engine had a top end rebuild/tensioners and clutch about 20k ago according to previous owner, also spoke to garage about this and they confirmed it.

Getting worried now by reading various posts!

Step 1: open the bonnet

Step 2: locate the big metal thing that makes the wheels go turny

Step 3: tell us which bit of the big metal thing is making the noise ...

;)

Well, figured it out!

I posted here after getting on site so hadn't checked before that.

Popped the bonnet and checked the oil, which there was plenty. The trouble was most of it covered my engine bay!

Must have dumped its load on the way to work. Went to nearest garage and put oil in, then limped it to my garage. By the time I got there the tappity noise had stopped so thats one thing!

I reckon one of the pipes attatched to the oil rad I had fitted has gone or something. Hopefully it looked worse than it actually is.