Sign in to follow this  
CoxyLaad

MOT Regulations

My corrado is (or was) a 92' K plate VR6, I am trying to find out whether or not I need a cat for the MOT.

Anyone got any ideas?

I would be ace if I didnt need one.

K implies production after August 1992, which means that yes you need a cat. But they are supposed to test the car based on the approximate age of the engine you have fitted, and your R32 is *definitely* new enough to need cats.

Actually, according to Henny, who I had a bit of a chat with about this, cars after August '92 (K-plate onwards) don't actually need the cat - they just need to be capable of passing the stricter emissions tests for cars with cats. If yours can pass without a cat then you're laughing...

This may be true, but I'd argue it's open to interpretation and some testers may simply insist ..

Talking of Henny, he's been pretty quiet of late, what's he up to?

This may be true, but I'd argue it's open to interpretation and some testers may simply insist ..

Talking of Henny, he's been pretty quiet of late, what's he up to?

think he is busy in the shed tuning his G60 into a monster!!

true... though if your cat bypass looks externally like a cat, and it passes the emissions, how are they going to know...? ;)

I think they can tell .. I mean, the car might just pass, or even comfortably pass the emissions test without a cat, but with a correctly functioning cat they will walk it by a large margin.

if it passes, then it passes simple as that.

I have heard that it goes on the manufacture date of the car not the registration plate. I mean if a car is built in march 92 and stands around for a while before getting registered and it doesnt have a cat on it, then its going to get penalised.

yes?

There's some loop hole you can use to get a '92 K-plate car tested with the 3.5% CO limit. A guy I know used it to get his '92 K-plate Calibra Turbo through the emissions. I'll find out a bit more about it at my mate's dad's MOT garage.

When testing a car it also goes on the engine code this can also alter what the limits are to pass.

NOT having a catalyst fitted when one usually is is NOT a reason for failure it would only fail if the emmisions are to high, which they usually are when the cat has been removed.