Sign in to follow this  
Lanceevox

Stock Amp?

Is there a stock amp in the rado? My speakers have been distorting since I replaced the stock ones. A employee at a audio shop told me it could be an amp causing this distortion. He also said the old speakers only had a positive and the new ones have +/-. Anyone expierence this? Also I need to know how to take my stereo out. How do you do it? What do you need to unscrew (what panels, consoles, etc..) Also, what is the circular plastic thing in the truck near the spare tire once you take off the carpeting? THANKS, Nick.

hello Lanceevox, stock audio systems are usually a bit poor when compared to the aftermarket stuff you can get these days, i`m not aware of any seperate amplifier fitted as standard...if you have one then it would be an aftermarket unit. standard speakers tend not to like the additional output from an amplifier and would need something a bit "beefier" to suit. have you got any piccs of the current headunit ? usually they require "pin" type tools to remove the unit

Lanceevox, if you tell me what head unit you have then i can identify the type of tool needed, and the inspection cover in the trunk is for access to either a sender unit or a fuel pump, best not permanently cover it up, just in case

Well, I figured out how to take out my stereo. All you have to do is simply take it out... I always over complicate the situation. I was trying to take off the plastic surround and I ended up pulling the entire thing out. I don't know how to make my image fit( to many pixels.. How do I make it smaller?) Also, I was wondering if anyone knew where my distortion could be coming from?

Distortion could be coming from your old head unit struggling to power your new speakers.

If you want to resize a picture use MS Paint or a photo editing program.

Like trig says, the distortion is more likely the speakers being underpowered than overpowered by the head unit.

An amp that is too small will lead to clipping and therefore distorted sound.

I saw somewhere on ebay someone selling "active" speakers originally fitted in the corrado as an extra (each speaker has it's own little amp). Could be yours have this?

I saw somewhere on ebay someone selling "active" speakers originally fitted in the corrado as an extra (each speaker has it's own little amp). Could be yours have this?

Yeah, if so the grills should have 'ACTIV' on them...