Sign in to follow this  
wcrado

A GOOD RIMMING! (not as filthy as it sounds)

i'm currently running 15" deep dish rims, and i've polished up the 4" dish, which looked stunning. i went through all the grades of wet and dry upto 1500grade, then used autosol metal polish and finished them off by hand. they looked awesome!! for about 2 days. :mad:

they got sh!t high in no time. thing is, i don't mind cleaning my wheels, i can do that every couple of days, but they don't just get dirty they lose their finish completely, so i have to repeat this process all over again! i can't do this every 2 days metal polish costs loads!

am i missing something here? i suspect that once the rims are completely polished i may have to laquer them to keep the finish, but i'm not sure. can anyone help???? :scratch:

I'd laquer them if I were you - leaving exposed metal to the elements (especialy at this time of year) isn't great idea :?

You can get a polish called Belgom which does a good job of protecting polished metal. It lasts up to about 6 weeks before it needs redoing. Plus if you lacquer the rims it takes off the shine and if it chips and the alloy corrodes underneath you will need to remove the whole lot to get a proper finish again. I've almost finished stripping down and polishing my tt comps and have used a few coats of Belgom on the completed wheels.

Get some wire wool. Works a treat before using the polish.

Also spray some WD40 over the rims afterwards. Once there covered in brake dust and road muck it should all wipe off. Clean, etc then WD40 again. The only way to get polished wheels through the winter.

right so i have 4 options, wax them, lacquer them, polish them with belgom or wd40 them..... i have just been leaving the exposed metal to the elements yes, as i didn't know what to do! think i'll try the wire wool first then polish them with belgom(if i can find it) then use wax.......what kind of wax anyway? just household wax or can you get proper automotive wax?

if that doesn't work i'll try the wd40, and finally if that doesn't work 'll get the lacquer out!

got to keep them polished, they're only 15's so if i don't it spoils the whole look of the car. they're lagged at the moment though!