Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

power steering issues

on cement I turn the wheel one way and it has trouble turning it and it screeches, same thing the other direction, on gravel, no problem turning the wheel, little screech at end, no leaks in the rack.

power steering pump?

Hmmm.. I am inclined to think that's normal.. Given that it's much harder to turn the wheels when the car is on cement than when it's on gravel, obviously.

I wouldn't bother trying to fix that, unless you are losing fluid or you're losing power steering. A little noise under extreme loads isn't that unusual, even for very new PAS pumps.

On the other hand, it might be worth checking the pump drive belt to make sure it's not that that's screeching.

good idea, I think it has air in it though, it makes a little bubbling noise when it tries to turn.

I also mean it jitters when I turn it too, the resistance changes as I turn it, it gets lose then hard then loose.

no but its the noise that sounds like screeching, slipping belt would be continuous and it doesnt do it when I have started moving

Why would the belt slip all the time??? Surely it will only slip when the pump is under heavy load - i.e. when you're turning the wheels on solid ground when the car is stationary!

It takes much less force to turn the wheels when the car is moving.

If you're convinced it's the pump change the pump, but my money is on that belt.

check the tension on the belt mine was doing similar after changing the alternator belt as i forgot to re-tension the pas belt too,couple of turns on the tension bolt and all fine.

as dr-mat said the belt will only slip when almost standing still trying to turn which is what mine did, when the car was moving it would steer fine.

LOL, listen to the voices!!!

By the way, yes, a worn PAS pump will make "bubbling" noises. This is caused by cavitation in the fluid at high pressures against the pump vanes where it's not quite sealing properly any more. This is perfectly normal though, and these pumps go on for years like that. I think most people will say they get a bit of that, even on very new cars anyway ..