Sign in to follow this  
VR6Steve

VR6 radiator + various

Hello! Recently bought the car I always wanted, a Corrado VR6, and just registered today. A couple of questions that I hope someone can help with.

1. I need to change the radiator due to a leak. What is the easiest method of removal?

2. Wash/wipe. Every time I use this the rear wipes also . Is this correct?

3. Checked the brakes and everthing appears ok. It is due a fluid change. But they do not seem as powerful as I would expect. Any ideas?

Cheers.

VR6Steve

:roll:

Welcome to the forum!

I'll let someone else answer no.1 as I haven't done a rad change personally.

2. Yes, it will automatically wipe when you press the rear washer.

3. Standard VR6 brakes aren't all that good. Assuming you haven't got a problem with them (might need bleeding, new pads/discs?) you might want to consider upgrading to MK4/Seat (etc.) 288mm brakes & Calipers on the front, they make a big difference. Or if your wheels will allow it even go for the 312mm TT brakes. Do a search for more info and check out this thread.

Hope that helps. :)

Trig - think he means that when he washes the front, the rear also operates ...

1) Easiest method or quickest method? Personally I took the slam panel and bumper off which made things nice and accessible. It would be quicker to remove it without doing this but probably a lot fiddlier!

Welcome to the forum!

I'll let someone else answer no.1 as I haven't done a rad change personally.

2. Yes, it will automatically wipe when you press the rear washer.

3. Standard VR6 brakes aren't all that good. Assuming you haven't got a problem with them (might need bleeding, new pads/discs?) you might want to consider upgrading to MK4/Seat (etc.) 288mm brakes & Calipers on the front, they make a big difference. Or if your wheels will allow it even go for the 312mm TT brakes. Do a search for more info and check out this thread.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks fo that.

Re. 2 to clarify. When I wash/wipe front screen the rear wipes also?

Cheers

VR6 Steve :roll:

Ah ok. In that case no - that shouldn't happen. Don't know why it would but it must be some kind of electrical fault, perhaps the switch on the stalk is knackered..?

1. There is a method of removing a few bits in front of the engine and kind of twisting the rad up and out next to the battery.

I've not tried it because it sounded like a lot of faff and scraped knuckles, so just took the slam panel and bumper off instead (not actually as hard as it sounds - it's about 6 bolts)

2. Sounds like it could be a dodgy switch in the stalk, but could be another random electrical gremlin.

3. Wot trig says - 288s from a late Mk3 GTI/VR make a noticable difference and will still (just) fit under standard 15s. 312s from a TT are a bit better again and not too expensive in the grand scheme of things, but you'll need 16s to fit them under. If you want mega-brakes then 4 or 6 pots from the likes of Brembo, Tar-Ox, etc are what you want, but will be 4 digits.

Thanks guys.

Re. wash/wipe switch. Tried a new switch still the same. Must be electrical fault. I know these can be very tricky to solve.

Re. the rad. Taking the bumper off sounds drastic! Are the bolts easily accesible and where are they located? How long did the whole job take?

Cheers,

VR6Steve. :o