Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

Engine beyong repair ??

Ok, so took my car to a VW engineer today (not working on VW time though) and spoke to him about a few things. One thing I mentioned was the engine using Oil. He mentioned that if the engine was run really hot that it might have broken something in the meaning the engine would need to be replaced.

Now I know VW engineers tend to be overdramatic (mostly for profit) but any ideas what he could be talking about. I was thinking he meant it might have melted a piston... although I doubt the only symptom of this would be my car using upto 1L of oil for a trip from Munich to Linz in Austria (About 300 miles I recon)

So... before I start weighinh up the options... TDI engine, something nice and powerful, or just a new car... can anybody think of what else it could be and what sort of cost I'm looking at for repair :?:

Nothing like a clear, concise report on the state of your engine based entirely on a conversation - I'd suggest taking your car to someone else

Trust me finding anybody in a country where you don't speak the language is hard enough. As I said he's going to take a look, he just said what it might be based on my description. You know how VW like to do that.... usually before they try and sell you a new car.

I guess it's wait and see time. I just wanted to be prepared with information when he does come back with what it is. I know about as much about engines as I do about speaking German.

How much oil is a 200,000 mile engine supposed to use though I wonder ?

1l in 300 miles is slightly high,but probably not bad considering the mileage! :D 8)

i wouldnt worry too much m8,but if you want to learn a little about your engines state,then a compession test would be good. 8)

it just sounds like tired piston rings/piston ring oil seals to me which is entirely normal at that mileage,and wouldnt be a major thing to sort.

Neil.

and how much would they be te get done

im not too sure on the corrado prices greeny m8,but ive done the valvers before...

the piston ring set (full lot including oil scrapers) was £38 quid from gsf i think,and they were kolben schmidt,decent quality.

and then theres the head gasket kit,£around £60-£70 i think for everything needed,new head bolts were £20 i think,then you need oil etc etc...

ive done the job myself before so saved on labour which could cost a bit obviously.so it soon mounts up,but still not bad money to get good compression again. 8)

and then! while there you could replace the crank shells...not sure on price,but can be done yourself also (if confident and pristinely clean enough)

Neil.

Sounds like I'll have to wait for his reply and then stear him in the right direction..... maybe as you said it was a bad day. With the list of work I wanted, and it turning up on a Sunday I can't blame him...

Thanks for the pointers Riley (strange as my names Riley as well) funny old world...