Sign in to follow this  
andycowuk

Replacing timing belt on PG engine

Hi,

I am doing a bit of work on my car just now, including replacing the timing belt and tensioner.

I have the bentley CD but my computer has died a spectacular death, and I cant install the CD at work :( .

All i need to know is the marks to line up the cam shaft and crank shaft to.

I do have a haynes manual for the golf, I had assumed that setting the timing would be the same as ont he 8v gti, but there is an arrow on the belt cover and 3 dots on the cam pulley teeth just to make things less than straight forward in that typical VW way.

What do I line what up with?

you might find it easyer if you make some marks yourself with white paint on crank,dizzy and cam pullys, ok if timing right to start with, this is how i did mine

The easiest way to time up the car is to first of all get the pistons to TDC and then from there you will neeed to have the rocker cover off align the 2 dots that are side by side on the pulley exactly level with the top face of the head at the front of the engine. Once that is done you will need to take the dizzy cap off and align the rotor arm contact with the little notch that is in the casing of the distributer body that will be where number one is firing first. Once that is done you will have to carefully put the timing belt on trying not to disturb the alignments you have made and then it's just a case of tensioning the belt tensioner up you should be able to twist the belt through 90 degrees if you cant do that then the belt has been tensioned too much and if you can easily turn it more than 90degrees it's not tensioned enough. Hope this all makes sense it worked for me so I dont see why it wouldn't work for anyone else