Sign in to follow this  
DANG60

rear brakes

Im fitting new rear discs, pads and bearings to my c. Ive been trying to wind the pistons back using a pegged spanner from an angle grinder. I can turn ther pistons no problem but they dont seem to be going back. Im turning the pistons clockwise. Does this sound right. Thanx in advance, Dan...

They need to be pushed in and turned at the same time..... might aswell get the proper tool from GSF, only costs about £15.

im doing the same to my c ......well i'm getting sumone to do it for me ;p

just the discs and pads though is it worth changing the bearings at the same time if i am doing the brakes?

im doing the same to my c ......well i'm getting sumone to do it for me ;p

just the discs and pads though is it worth changing the bearings at the same time if i am doing the brakes?

The rear wheel bearings are pressed into the disks and the likelihood of you getting them out of the old disks and into the new ones unharmed is pretty slim. They'll probably want changing anyway and they're not expensive, so you might as well.

This thread on Mk4 rear callipers is also worth a read...

ok dinkus thanks for that read the link about mark four callipers...... checked on gsf looks like it is 63 gbp for each calliper is this right or should it be £63 for both ??????

ok dinkus thanks for that read the link about mark four callipers...... checked on gsf looks like it is 63 gbp for each calliper is this right or should it be £63 for both ??????

That'll be each. Quoted from the above thread:

To summise...

GSF/Europarts are...

£95 +vat (£30 refund on exchange, which may not be possible) each side

£25 for just rear conversion hoses, Goodridge from C&R

£20-40 for pads

Total £235 (£276.13)

C&R...

£270 +vat for calipers, pads and all 6 hoses (£317.25), £40 more for a complete set-up.

Orrr, you can do as STORM 2 did and get them from a breaker's for £60ish a pair and then get the hoses and pads separately.

Either way, it would appear that you want the early Mk4 ones for the non-vented disks that should look like this. (Those ones already have the Goodridge hoses attached)