Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

Wiring fog lamps to high beam

because i still find my main beams still too dim after loom uprgrade and change of bulbs i was wondering, if its possible to use a relay so i can turn the fogs on when i have main beams on too.

is this legal? if not i may have to put an aux switch so i can turn on/off this feature

Fog lamps are for when it's foggy, and they're to bright for when it's not foggy.

I think you can be fined for having your fog lights on when there is no fog.

The fog lamps crack when on for long periods.

Uprate your headlights.

EDIT--didn't read the bit where you said you'd uprated :oops: ..like Steve said, clen your lenses!

That would be illegal - what state are your lenses and reflectors??

I've done bulbs, loom and lenses and lights are as good as any new car...

Its probably not legal and wouldnt be very effective, but you could wire them in using a 4 pin relay as you said.

A switch could be fitted to either the relay power feed or to the line from the headlights or from them to the fogs to switch this off for MOT etc. Personally I would fit the switch to the relay power feed line.

ive uprated my lights already, but just find all old vw lights dim.

fog lenses are already cracked so that wont bother me for now.

im just about to change a lens cus its cracked.

just thought, i wired up my fogs to mains on the golf and its never failed an mot. it did help with visibilty

do police actually check this kind of stuff?

Yeah, it's legal but the benefit is minimal. I had my lights wired that way when I made the first loom but I've since gone back to the standard control philosophy. My lights are excellent on main beam, even with standard bulbs; are you sure the reflectors in the lights aren't a bit cack?

like i said one of the lenses has cracked so may be because the reflector is dirty/cack

but thanks for letting me know your opinions, think ill avoid the hassle

When I say 'legal' what I actually mean is 'no more illegal than blinding the crap out of oncoming traffic with lights on main beam'....for the record.

Like all things, the letter of the law is rarely adhered to in trivia like whether your fogs come on with main beam or not.

But I'm pretty sure it's not allowed. It is, in fact, an offence to be using fog lamps when there is no fog. I doubt it's an MOT thing, but a copper might decide to stop you for it.

If your lights are still pathetic after uprating bulbs AND loom I would suggest you take your sunglasses off! :)