Sign in to follow this  
gfunk1963

Help, with wiring to Standard Nokia active speakers

Hi everybody, I need some advice on the wiring to the Nokia active speakers fitted to my Japanese spec LHD G60 Raddo.

Since I have to fit a new head unit cos the standard Jap one can only pick up Radio 2, and as I decided to fit component speakers as well, I proceeded to strip out the standard fit VW speakers only to find the door speakers were strange looking, a clue to this was on the speaker grilles that said AKTIV or something like that, these speakers have what looks like a die cast enclosure with a hole in it plugged with some foam which on removal reveals some kind of PCB, I can only assume this was somekind of active crossover or even a built in amp, the result of which appears that I will have to strip out the loom leading to this which comprises a plug with approx ten different wires / door including what looks like a chunky earth and live feed, of course none of these wires match the ones hanging out of the dash.

Does anybody know what these speakers are and how I can tap into the loom without having to rewire all the speakers ?

Sorry about the long post but I wanted to present the whole picture.

Thanks

Welcome aboard :)

The wires from the head unit go to the tweeters and then branch off down into the doors to the speakers.

On the standard setup, the only form of crossover as such is a small capacitor on the tweeter that acts as a low frequency cut. The door speakers are just passive drivers.

The wiring is IIRC brown and blue with a brown stripe and has a VW 2-pin connector on it. Either way, the wiring is weedy and crap - so if you've got chunky wiring then it's probably after-market.

I'd be getting a multimeter on the wires and see if any of them are a live feed and try hooking up an old passive speaker to the other wires in hope of a signal.

Annnd randomly - How come your Jap spec car is LHD? :?

Thanks Wesley for pointing out the thread with an explanation of why the Car is lhd and Japanese.

Hi Dinkus, thanks, but the speakers in my car are I am sure factory fitted but they are nothing like you describe as the door speakers have a very chunky factory type connector on the side of it with ten wires connected to it whereas you would usually only find two or maybe 4 for the tweeters, the dash tweeters / midrange on my car measure 10cms in diameter and only have two wires going to them with no capacitor in sight.

It would appear that these speakers may have been an option only in Japan and are much more sophisticated than your usual OEM speaker set up.

Nevertheless it now appears I am going to have to use new cabling throughout but the mystery of the AKTIV Nokias still remain.