Sign in to follow this  
Robch

VR6 handling?

How do these handle in standard form?

I have mk3 VR6 Highline at the mo, it has FK coilovers so its pretty well stuck to the ground. I want to get away from the low and harsh ride and would like a C. But the Golf was all over the place when I bought it running the standard setup!

Golf & Corrado are chalk & cheese handling wise. You'll find the Corrado is a big move forward from a MkIII if you haven't driven one before.

The VR6 makes the Golf really nose heavy in my experience, but this problem does not affect the Corrado. It's a much more balanced drive.

Suggets you really do need to try one out though. Bear in mind that a standard Corrado VR6 will not be the huge leap handling wise over you own car, as the coilovers will have helped the handling a lot, but compared to a standard Golf VR6... it's not really even a debate I think

HTH,

John

Not yet daz. I'm trying to decide whether or not to just sell the Golf and use the money for a deposit on a house or get a C and keep that for 12 months just so I can say I've owned one!

Tough decision. But if I get a standard one, thats the way it will be staying. I've had my fill of the harsh ride and not being able to drive anywhere without a perfectly tarmac'd road! I know what you're going to say...."Why don't you just put the suspension up?" But if you've got the option, with coilovers you'll always go lower!!!

Well you could always just increase the coilovers "a bit".

You don't need to wind them up much to get a significant change in the compliance. You could also unwind the dampers a lot - that helps a helluva lot (but then you know all this dontcha?)

I've not had my VR6 for long but just to give you an idea, the thing I noticed most about my C when I first got it was the superb handling as standard. It is good.

I'm pretty new to corrado ownership and have to say it does handle well. Better than my GTiR that I had before.

I was driving my g/f's golf TDI thing the other day and though I rated it highly I almost understeered off the road at one point. I guess the VR6 has a different setup but I definately rate the corrado. doesn'r understreer and the back feels planted. :)

So long as the Corrado VR6 has healthy dampers and bushes, it will handle beautifully. VW's choice of spring rate for the VR is spot-on. Just a shame they aren't a wee bit lower. I've put H&R springs and Koni top adjustables on mine and already I'm hankering after my original setup. The H&R/Koni combo is very very good but the roads where I live are terrible and it's a bit harsh at times.

Kev