Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

help!! changed cams and now ive lost the time

ok, used my golf haynes manual for reference and it said to put a bulb across -ve LT terminal, and to good earth.

it said that if the bulb was on then i should rotate clockwise untill it went out, but it never did go out. so either this is diff to a golf or somethings wrong with my car.

could i have damaged my ecu when rotating the dizzy?

also when turning over by starter i sometimes get what i would guesse to be a backfire, its seems to come out of a inlet crack but cant be sure about that.

i know my lambda probe was probably on its way out before i did this job too.

You ether have got the timing wrong or your lead order wrong,position no 1 on TDC,valves shut,pop off your dizy cap and look at the position of the rotor arm it should match up near enough with No1 lead

at tdc dizzy points at lead 1 and runs 1 3 4 2.

Got her running, not very well. but i got a new plastic intake (old one split), second hand vag dizzie. and second hand isv.

so what would make her run badly? it backfires and is generally a bag of sh*t.

in at garage tommorow so if i cant get it done today its up to the pros lol

i dont know if this is related to the really bad running but ive noticed that the brakes seem heavy, as if the servo isnt working. im sure i connected up all the servo pipes ok. this may be to do with the carrier swap or suspension change. just thought i best say incase someone links the two problems

sounds like you may have a severe vacuum leak... that'd screw up both the running of the engine AND the brakes as described...

check that the black and yellow valve on the pipe to the servo is OK and that the little take off pipes from it are intact and either blanked off properly or connected to a pipe which is connected to something else with no splits...

Finally got it sorted and did it without the mechanics help.

not 100% sure how i fixed it but what i did is start right from the beggining and removed the whole inlet manifold and checked everything out while applying gasket seal paste. all marks where at tdc so i put it all together again and started her up. and wahoo she ran well.

id like to thank everytone who helped me with it, wouldnt have cariied on trying if it wasnt for you guys.

in fact i reckon its my lucky day because i even started my vw golf 16v which i changed the head on recently and it runs like a peach. all the hard work shows.

Great to hear you got her running in the end......it's really satisfying when you hear an engine run after so many problems .....don't you think?

What does she pull like with the KR cams in?

well i need to get the ignition timing set right before i can say about how the car behaves. does seem different. will let you know tomorow hopefully.

I have kr cams and larger inlet manifold so should see a difference.

saysomestuff, said that if i put a kr head on my car this will also change performance. if so how will it? if its worth it i may do it as my head is 148k miles old, and i have a spare kr head lying around ready for rebuilding.

thanks again lads

heads have different internals. think once they've been gas flowed theres not much difference though.

anybody have proper information on this mod?

also which is best timing setup? 6 BTDC or 9 BTDC

ok, took it to the garage on Saturday and they adjusted the ignition timing and they said it seems way out, he said about 20 degrees, but to me it looks more 10-15 is this a bad thing? car runs fine. all tdc marks are still ligning up too.