Sign in to follow this  
Chay

Head Gasket has gone.

My headgasket has gone, my mate has replaced about 6 on vw polos, he says he can on mine but has never done a 16v engine before, is there any major differences, does anyone have any helpful advice, cheers.

I put it into a garage to check the oil light as they were intermitently coming on, and the engine was getting really hot in traffic so much so the tappets started to get really noisey, then reset themselves a couple of days later.

The garage said there was an air lock in my heater, and high hydrocarbons in the coolant system.

They said that the fan wasn't coming on soon enough or strong enough to cool the engine down, which they said is the likely cause for the gasket to go.

The oil sensors were on the wrong way round for some daft reason so thats sorted now.

yeh get a compression test.

i had a problemwith my old valver on my oil cooler, it burst and started puting oil in the water system and over heated ??

cheers mate that is definetley worth looking at, if that was the problem how much are you looking at?

That wouldnt affect the fan coming on though would it?

high hydrocarbons,can only get into the coolant system two ways,head gasket or a crack some were in the head,i.e. unburt fuel being forced into the coolant system.

A compression check will show nothing relating to the oil pressure side at all,it wont tell you the gasket is popped either(unless major but it wont run)

Renew the fan switch first to get that to work and go from there,do the basics

I ll do that mate, the car seems to be running fine at the minute but I am just afraid that I will be doing damage to the engine

As long as you dont overheat it again no damage should occur,if it gets hot in traffic ,turn your heaters on full blast.

Check your pressure cap seal as they cause over heating problems aswell by not sealing.

wouldnt bother checking the cap actually if i was you....... just replace it instead with genuine vag item only about a fiver from stealer. one of mine had lost the will to live and was causing coolant to boil out of the relief valve.had it changed and no problems since touch wood.