Sign in to follow this  
g60bv

how to convert 4 to 5 stud hubs

OK I'm thinking I may want to do this on my 94 valver. I've read the thrad but I want to be sure I've got this right. To convert to 5 stud I need to use:

2 x VR6 hubs

2 x VR6 Outer CV Joints

2 x VR6 Wheel bearings

2 x VR6 Bearings

2 x VR6 rear discs

20 x VR6 Wheel bolts

That right?

Disc drilling to 5 stud. Do I have to do this or are Golf MKIII Gti discs the right size and stud pattern already?

Nick

I think thats right, but what do you mean by 2 x VR6 Wheel Bearings, and 2 x VR6 Bearings ?

I've bought all the parts you've listed, the rears just need the discs and wheel bolts.

I've bought front VR6 Bearings, i had a look at one next to a G60 bearing, and can't see any difference ??

Also the ring that is screwed on to the hub with 3 screws is wider on the G60 to the VR6 one, i noticed in the pics g60bv hasn't got them on, was there areason for that ? If i use the G60 rings, it looks like i may have to cut clearance slots for the wheel bolts in 5x100 pattern.

I also get confused when people say 'bearing housing' - are you talking about the hub here or have i missed something ??

Would really appreciate some help here as i'm half way through doing it now !!

Matt

OK, i think i worked out that the bearing housing is just the steering knuckle, which i don't need to change.

Still can't understand the difference in VR to G60 Bearings though, they are the same size, but must be different internals ?

if changing from 4 stud you need to fit mk3 golf hub into old carrier to use 16v wishbone and vr outer cv joints ..

if you use corrado or mk3 gti hub carriers you have to change the wishboes to vr spec as they use a differant ball joint to 16v this is the best way to go so it all lines up properly.,.,

Hi i'm thinking of doing this too on my g60 so i can fit bigger brakes like the 312mm from an audi tt, would this work?. thanks

Andy