Sign in to follow this  
2_Door_fun

New shockers n springs

Well they have arrived my shiny new Weitec lowering kit. All the way from the man of G.

Pleased I am.

So I have VR6 sping plates seperate bearings n mounts. How do they fit??? Sorry to sound totally thick but I have done this job many times before on many different types of car, but i'm a little stumped.

The Original spring cap fits over ther threaded part of the strut rod and sits on the shoulder of the rod all very snug. When I tried the VR plate it just slipped over the shoulder of the rod and landed on the spring seat! :?:

I have a porter's manual it has a diagram although very small on the components for the earlier type of mount with the built in bearing. I have a new set of these should all else fail.

Advice and any diagrams appreciated.

strut-2.jpg

strut-1.jpg

No replys. Come on folks I know some of ya have the VR mounts on yer cars...

Found this on Ekta. I seem to have all the required components?? So Does the VR spring cap not sit on the strut rod shoulder??

I have the strut cap of a Passat so really just wondering about the VR cap and how it fits.

Just stick it together in the picture as shown on the right on ETKA. Make sure you assemble it with the bump stop and boot to stop sh1t getting onto the fescallised portion(shinny bit of the damper)

Put the spring cap on and the bearing and then do it up with the nut until it locks off and then torque it up. Shove the rubber top mount over the top of it and poke it back up through the wheel arch, shove the top cap in from inside the engine bay and do the nut up - game over except for the bottom bolts and a 4 wheel alignment!

It will all fit so don't worry. (As long as the the spring cap retains the spring you are fine.)

becarefull, if it is not in contact with the top of the strut, then the strut will not be compressed when the spring is. Are you not missing some kind of washer>?

sciroccotune said:

Are you not missing some kind of washer>?

Not acording to VW and folks on here. As siad in previous post The spring seems to hold it in place. Anyway does not matter now. Got bored waiting for an answer. Fitted new early style mounts that I had from VW a while back.

I have fitted many kits I was just a little sought of is that it...Is that what holds the strut together :lol:

So anyway car is sitting with its front wheels on the ground :D First time in 3 months. So pos a startup tomorrow.

Did you get a nut ('threaded bush') from VW with each mount and bearing?? - if not then thats the part thats needed...

Dont fit the 'threaded bush' with the earlier larger spring discs - you should be fitting the nut.

No worries folks.

Fitted new earlier mounts with the bearing built in. Had these new anyway. Car is now Ready to have the rears soughted out. Job for next week sometime.