Sign in to follow this  
EDSTARVR6

How to Jack up a 'rado?

Can you let me know the best (easiest) way to Jack up my car? I would like to be able to lift the whole of the front (not just one side at a time), is this possible using a jack and axle stands? Or do I need two jacks? The method needs to be cheap, i.e. no buy a £2000 lift mate, and not damage my car. Why are axle stands called axle stands when you don't put them under axles?

I have searched internet and looked in books, and everyone says something a little bit different.

Am I being thick, or going over the top in worrying about this?

I hope there are others on here which would find this info useful

cheers

ed

I have to jack my C up firstly with a VW jack to get it high enough for the big jack to get in there. then arse around with axel stands and bits of wood for the next 5 mins.

This is not much help but at least you are not the only one!.

I am going to investigate bottle jacks. they have a strate lift and are qucik bit they are very tall!

Why are axle stands called axle stands when you don't put them under axles?

not sure why they are called that but they dont go near the drive shafts. i generally just use the box section bhinde the jacking points but would like to hear what others have to say :-)

I('ve sat mine on different points depending on what i'm doing to it, I tend to run it up onto sleepers for most jobs, my belly and the front spoiler don't really mix well!! haha, but i am kinda lucky in having a farmyard/buildings to put the car in if need be. I've blocked the car under the jacking points and taken the blocks from under the wheels when i dropped the box out the bottom to change the clutch, and i've blocked it under the wishbones when doing other jobs.

I think the most important thing is making sure it's safe, and cant go anywhere, especially if some monkey gives it a bit of a shove. don't trust the handbrake too much either. I've had to tow a landrover back up onto a jack with a tractor after a little accident with the handbrake when i was changing the wheel.

Why are axle stands called axle stands when you don't put them under axles?

Because cars used to have strong beam axles running between the wheels - and you'd position the axle stands under the axles.

Nowadays no cars run beam axles (except the likes of land rovers) we all have independant suspension setups,

I normally jack my c up one side at a time....