Sign in to follow this  
outlandish5

G60 Performance

My G60 doesn't feel as fast as I would have expected. It feels slower than a mk3 16v and a mk2 8v.

Timing looks right and also checked various bits and pieces. Im just wondering what the common faults are that may restrict performance.

On Monday im going to order spark plugs and a timing belt tensioner (wasn't replaced when belt done 20'000 miles ago).

If it was any non-charged VW, friends and I would be able to sort it out, but the G60 is a bit more fiddley and we don't wanna feck about with it untill we know more.

check all the sensors bro.. CO Pot, knock sensor etc etc and also check the exhaust for leaks, when was the charger rebuilt, may be loosing boost...

if you can be more specific im sure we can help

and also check the exhaust for leaks

Can that make much of a difference to performance?

Think so, back pressure is quite important.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think book speeds, a standard G60 is slower than a MK2 16v anyway.

id check the boost level your getting and make sure the throttle cable is ajusted to get wide open throttle

Charger rebuilt 20k ago.

Already checked throttle cable, but I'll check again to see if its slipped since I re-attached it after servicing.

I'll see if I can get it plugged into vagcom to check the sensors, im friendly with a guy who used to own the local VW dealership and he just so happens to have taken the equipment to his home garage when dealership changed hands.

Exhaust is slightly leaking where downpipe meets middle system, so I'll pop round ATS and get a mate to sort that too.

Charger rebuilt 20k ago.

Already checked throttle cable, but I'll check again to see if its slipped since I re-attached it after servicing.

I'll see if I can get it plugged into vagcom to check the sensors, im friendly with a guy who used to own the local VW dealership and he just so happens to have taken the equipment to his home garage when dealership changed hands.

Exhaust is slightly leaking where downpipe meets middle system, so I'll pop round ATS and get a mate to sort that too.

erm g60's dont have vagcom. you'll have to do it the old fanshioned way.. check or replaced the coolent temps sensor check the knock sensor.- remove it and inspect for any damage on the lead. also check or change the lamda, and boost leaks. also check the exhaust. is it sooty or clean.?? if it has a leak b4 the lamda it will thinks its running lean and dump fuel in

if it has the cam belt changed recently. check its position. very easy to be a few teeth out. and then check the timming with a light. think it's 8' btdc with the blue temp sensor disconnected.

running too rich. either fueling prob or timing. depending on the spec of the car. std should have very light sooting not much.

light brown to brown coloured soot, not black... IDEALLY

exhaust leak can give you a very sight loss of performance well mine did... im sure in figures its not a lot at all, it just feels like youre loosing a fair bit tbh

also check the co pot!

exhaust leak can give you a very sight loss of performance well mine did... im sure in figures its not a lot at all, it just feels like youre loosing a fair bit tbh

Cool, my exhaust is blowing and i've noticed a lack in performance, i'm aware that my charger is right on it's limit (47k since last rebuild using 68mm pulley) so I'm assuming it's not going to be boosting at it's best but i've deffinatly noticed a lack of power since the exhaust has been blowing worse.

I can't say i've noticed lack in performance before when my exhausts have been blowing but this one is blowing really badly.

Walesy you keep whinging abt yr charger... mine did 79k 1st time round and was still boosting very well. i only had it done just in case really. have seen a original charger do up to 140k wihout going bang.... you need to bust a joint and chill man

:p I'd rather just get it serviced and then chill :lol: . I don't fancy having to replace the fecking thing, i've noticed small puffs of black smoke coming out of the exhaust when changinf gear at high revs too, so it's going to be done.

Like I said though, i'll assume that this lack in performance is down to my leaking exhaust, i'm having one fitted next week so i'll see.

Nah, the chargers being done before the car gets sold mate, i'm waiting for a good time to have the car off the road for a few days while it's done.

I've heard of chargers lasting 80k plus , but i've also heard of chargers blowing 2k after rebuilds from Jabba (where mine was done )...so i'd rather be safe than sorry.

if jabba's fuckked with it, i'd def have it sorted, hope your going somewhere sensible this time :wink:

Hi there Walesy/Furkz, just wanted to know about Jabba Sport. I took it as they were really good at there rebuilds better then the rest :S...

If you could shine some light on the rebuilding? Who would you reccomend (from london)

Furks Sorry i didn't get back to you regarding your rims, i shall contact you by this weekend if they are still available as i should hopefully have some cash sorted by then.

thanks

younglad....try gwerks or pitstop for charger work

jabba were the only people that did chargers many years ago, mike used to do them himself, it seems they got more intrested in stuff like 20v and mikes brother in law does the chargers now...many of us on here including me have had problems due to cheap parts fitted or badly fitted parts, plus the poor customer service

the general concensus on the forum is that G-Werks is the place to send your G60 charger to now for rebuilds... Jabba seem to have lost interest in the G-Lader side of things and are concentrating on turbos with great effect, however this has lead to some negative comments from people (including myself) who haven't been happy with the work they have had done by Jabba.

G-Werks (Darren, or G-man on this forum) has been setup with G-laders as a core part of the business and has got an awful lot of trade from this forum and little or no bad feedback, which speaks wonders in this day and age... ;)

Put it this way, mine's on its way there when I get my spare one back from him... ;) :lol:

/desperately trying not to slag off Jabba... ;)