Sign in to follow this  
mbbiker

overheating ???

Hi, i finally bought a corrado after owning a jetta, fox, and passat. I don't have to much stuck into it right now and am wondering what it's going to run to get it fixed, here's the problems......

broken windshield (pass. side) ok for now

broken light covers in the front

and the big problem,

it overheats if you drive it in the city for more than 15 minutes. When it's on the highway it's fine but when you cruise around the city it overheats, what could be the problem and estimated cost to fix?

Did you warn your bank manager that you were buying a corrado? ;)

By the way, you're more likely to get useful info from people if you let people know which engine you have... ;)

When you say overheats, does it boil over or does the gauge read way up to the right?

VW hand books tell you that anywhere on the gauge is acceptable as long as the warning light is out.

If it is boiling over, then the radiator fan is the most likely culprit. Lift the bonnet with the engine running and monitor the fan and temp gauge. The fan would normally cut in before the needle gets to the top 1/4 of the gauge.

If the fan isn't working, check it's not jammed. Then the fuses. Pull the plug of the fan switch(near the battery at the bottom of the rad) and jump the wires and see if the fan runs. Can't remember the colours. Prolly a big red will be the feed and a red/white and red/black the outputs. It should be a dual speed fan, high and low speeds.

Gavin

it's a 1993 VR6 SLC, thanks for the help i'll take a look at it in the morning.

Overheating? VR6? Can't see the correlation myself :lol:

Seriously though, if you've got a 6 banger that overheats and isn't losing coolant, has no mayo in the expansion tank and the twin fans are doing their stuff, then pick from one of the following popular issues:- Water pump, an air lock, a jammed thermostat or a dead electric pump.

A healthy VR will get up to normal operating temp (circa 85-90 deg) quite quickly and stay there all day, and perhaps move up to 100-105 when stuck in traffic for extended periods of time. When the temp reaches 107 deg, the electric pump kicks in, as do the twin speed radiator fans and do their best to reign in those temps.

To see if the electric pump is working, simply switch the ignition on when parked up (engine off) and you should hear the pump whining slightly.

So, to cut my massive missive down to something more bitsize.....if your temp doesn't go above 110 and you've got no leaks, weird rattles etc, don't worry about it. VR6s just run very hot, period.

Kev

it just started boiling over last night so i have a feeling that the fan is in need of being replaced. When i tried turning it by hand it hardly moved. anyone have any ideas on where to get a used fan?

it just started boiling over last night so i have a feeling that the fan is in need of being replaced. When i tried turning it by hand it hardly moved. anyone have any ideas on where to get a used fan?

No used fans advertised on the bulletins that I know of, however I noticed this on ebay. Follow the link, its the switch to the fan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2432032969

Check the thermoswitch that controls the fan first (small thing with wires coming out the back mounted into the radiator body) as this can corrode (since it's sitting in coolant). If the temp is off scale and fan hasn't come on, stick a multimeter across the terminals of the switch. If its open, it shouldn't be and its knackered. If it is closed, then its likely to be the fan.

Hang on, I've just realised I've described how I solved the problem on my old MkI GTI. I've no idea if my VR6 has a thermoswitch in the radiator. :oops: Its late and I'm still in the office.