Sign in to follow this  
g60bv

ah oh

ok. so last tuesday driving not to hard. and the chatger belts snapped. car went very quiet and slowed down. ran ok thou. pulled over. poohed myself a little. thought the crank bolt had snapped.. opened bonnet. tooth belt wrapped round in half. :cry:

thought , drive home . forgot it also drove the water pump and alternator. water temp went to 120 ish- off scale norm 70 80. oil temp went to 105.- always low. norm 70 80.. stopped after 1.5 miles for 10mins to cool car off. home only 3 miles away.

replaced belt next day. also had a look in engine. water bit low and obviously had boiler over a little. so i topped up. about 1L

also noticed my dizzy bolt loose. fiddled withe dizzy and tightened.

drove the car tonight. first time since. bit low on power. and loads of steam blueish smoke behind me.

checked engine over, nothing spilling or out of place. removed oil filler cap. loads of steam. oh pooh.

have i...

a) warpped my head

b) cracked a cylinder or

c) and i hope it's this one. is the timing out creating low power and excess water in exhaust :roll:

please be gentle . :cry:

i suppose a pressure test would also be a good idea.

could be all 3 mate, it`s not looking too good fella :( blue smoke is an indication of oil being burnt via head gasket by the sounds of it, you are gonna have to get the head off and do a bit of fettling mate :cry:

Ian please get back to us with further info... sounds horrible mate, hope it all goes has best as possible.

that happend to me matey! turned out i had blown out a seal in the charger (due to excess oil pressure or something) causing the smoke out the back.... the belt usually snaps when the pulleys arent alligned properly and / or there isnt enough tension in the system.

The seal shouldnt be too much trouble just whip the charger out and get it off to G-werks and darren should be able to help you out. :)

the head may well have to come off. i always thought those metal head gaskets were indestructable. -but i hope it is just that.

the charger was rebuilt only 2k ago. if that. by daz.

theres no mayo on the filler cap. but i removed the breather and the cap and steam poured out. waters in there some where. may just have to bite the bullet and whip the head of on saturday.

so shopping list. :

gsf head gasket.

head bolts x10

inlet gasket x1

exhaust x4

and a couple of temp sensors. just to be safe.

but i removed the breather and the cap and steam poured out. waters in there some where

If there was water in your engine your oil would be milky. You do get oil vapors that look like steam cuming out of the breather thats what they are for. Sounds like the head has gone is it losing any water or overheating

the head may well have to come off.

Get the timing set up first... is it using water/oil? Could well just be a mile out on the timing mate... Mine did the same thing on the rollers last tuesday and went into stupidly high temps, but the gasket's fine...

i always thought those metal head gaskets were indestructable.
Hahahahahahahaha.... *Picks self up off floor* Nope, they certainly ain't indestructable... ;) They're good, but if you heat 'em up too much, the HEAD warps slightly (we're talking a couple of thousandths of an inch here) which will alow the gasket to blow....

theres no mayo on the filler cap. but i removed the breather and the cap and steam poured out. waters in there some where. may just have to bite the bullet and whip the head of on saturday.
Nah, that could just be normal... mine smokes slightly from the filler cap if you open it with the engine running... that's just the engine oil system breathing normally... Keep an eye on your levels and see if it's actually USING oil or water or overpressurising the coolant system... ;)

so shopping list. :

gsf head gasket.

head bolts x10

inlet gasket x1

exhaust x4

and a couple of temp sensors. just to be safe.

Sounds like a sensible shopping list to me... I'd be tempted to add on a cam belt and cambelt tensioner while I was in there, just 'cos you're 80% of the way to removeing it anyway, so you may as well while it's in bits... ;)

Get the timing setup first and see if it IS using fluids before whipping the head off though, you may be surprised... 8)

unless you need to change the gasket for a reason , take the charger off first and get that checked out first, i went through the same dilema as you and was releaved it was only the bearing seal in the charger, 2 minute job at G-werks... you may not even need to change the head gasket if thats your problem??

And as henny says get the timing checked, unless the head gasket is old, i very much doubt you would have blown it when the belt went, i ran mine for a mile without any belt on at all and the temp rose to a touch over 120 ish and it managed to survive maybe i was just lucky??

henny, cam belt and tensioner where only changed 2k ago.

i'm taking some coolent to get the hydrocarbons tested. then a compression test. but the heads coming off any way. going to get a CNC head. yippie.