Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

VR6 Serpentine belt - what miles?

My car has done 101k and is 11 years old. Belt looks OK.

Anyone with a VR6 know of failures?

If so what was mileage/age?

Would appreciate any relevant info/experience, guys.

i was told by a VW head tech that the replacement schedule for the Serpentine belt is every 60k miles.........mine was changed almost 3 years ago at 53k............

Yeah - my tensioner bearing was making a horrific noise at 103k - took a look and the actual bearing had seized leading the the pulley spinning around the bearing and melting away - I got it just in time.

My belt was very old and decrepit looking, so I changed it too. Easy job and they are only about £15 or so.

I changed the belt last weekend as i noticed it made a dry wispy noise (more noticable under acceleration), almost like a brake pad slightly touching the disc (if you know what i mean). Changed it and hay presto know naff wispy noise.

I changed it a couple of years ago with one from GSF.

I had a new tensioner fitted couple of months back just for the hell of it.

My car is now on 92k and the belt was from VW.

Yeah, 60k sounds about right for a belt of that length... I very much doubt it's done 101k as I've seen a couple of VR's on 80-90k with what look like original belts and they are very worn/cracked altho this could have been to do with a failing tensioner..

If your not sure of the age and it looks a bit worn then i'd change it for the sake of 15 mins work and also a good time to check the tensioner, better than having the belt snap on a motorway!