Sign in to follow this  
Kevhl

Which Corrado to get?

Hello all, fantastic forum. I'm looking into getting a Corrado as my last car has ceased to exist...The Ring takes another prisoner Hopefully you can give me some advice!

Not sure which model to go for, basically I do alot of on track driving and I would be uprating the majority of components regardless of the car. I've pretty much decided against a G60 as imo I doubt any s/charger would last very long unless that is I changed it for a turbo. The VR6 is probably going to be too heavy as I like to throw my cars around alot. I think a 2.0l 16v with some engine and gearbox work has good potential, with a proggression to T/B's if not a 20vt + GT33r transplant at a later date.

I've heard very good things about the on road handling of the corrado, and would assume I could further enhance this for the track with coilovers, ARB's, polybushes, roll cage, some neg camber etc.

Having little experience with a Corrado I'd appreciate any advice or opinions you have, especially if any of you are regular trackday goers and run a 'track' prepared Corrado!

Thankyou in advance

Hi Kevhl,

Welcome to the forum....

If your getting a Corrado exclusively to race then I'd suggest buying a late spec VR6 (wider track in later models), stick in a 20V turbo engine, fit a set of koni coilovers & some 17", with 35-40mm tyres &away you go

Just come back from the Ring in my Corrado (koni/hr suspension, standard brakes). Handles brilliantly and its so forgiving and Iam sure it could handle even better with further modifications. The front end is a bit heavy on the twisty bits but otherwise it is very well balanced. Perhaps the ultimate Corrado would be a tuned 1.8t with the plus suspension off the vr6 and big brakes.

i agree with getting a late spec VR and swapping out the engine... or go the 16v route and fit the widetrack suspension to it... then if the power isn't enough, turbo the 16v, or stick a 20v head on there and turbo if you want.

however, a rebuilt G60 is very reliable, and if you want to take the car into high rpm 6500+, just keep the stock pulley on it and it will be fine. as long as its maintained it will be fine... the g-lader actually is very reliable don't let other people's bad experiences (lack of proper maintenance) deter you.

stay with the 15" rims or at the largest 16". 17"s are for looks, they don't perform as well as 15" not to mention the added weight.

last thing... if you want a dedicated track car, why go with something so heavy like a corrado? why not a A1 or A2 golf or rocco? much less weight to haul around. (i should keep my mouth shut i'm in the process of buying a corrado shell to work into a track car :lol: )

Alex is selling a good basis for a silly bhp track car.

2.1 16v engine with DTA engine management built to accept forced induction of some sort.

Look in the For Sale section.

If you want a cheap and fun track car then how about a 1.8 16v with a 2.0l bottom end and some cams. The 1.8 uses K-jet injection and so gives better throttle response whilst a few mods will bring the power up. I ran one last year and did a few track days in it which were awesome fun. It is the lightest C so has the best chassis balance (the balance is perfect for some great fun tail out antics) and the mechanicals are cheap as chips to service and repair compared to the VR and G60. It's only drawback is lack of grunt but this can be sorted easily and helped if you ditch everything that weighs anything. They are very cheap to buy in the firstplace and the engines will take an absolute canning without missing a beat. They rev to 7,200 which makes them a bit more racey for track work.

The brakes are smaller than the V6 and G60 (256mm vs 280) but adequate if you buy decent pads/discs. You can get 285mm kits for about £150 from rally design if you don't think the brakes are up to it.

Cheers Guys,

I'm looking at this as my only car, it will get a lot of track use but will also be used everyday. I'm not fussed about the creature comforts as such been running stripped out cars with full cages on the road for a while.

I've looked at Golf 1's and 2's can't get a decent MKI for love nor money, and in all honesty I want something a little different than the crowd. As much as I love them there are a lot of MKII golfs about.

The Ibiza I had ran with a single seat, 6 point cage, 15 x 7" rims (I'm in total agreement on that topic 'G60'), 280's with Ferrodo DS3000's etc. Bilsteins, ARB's, etc. That thing was only a little 2.0 8v but it didn't weigh a huge amount and handled like a dream. I know the corrado is a little on the heavy side but I can see a huge amount of potential.

I'll have a look on EKTA but what is giving the later VR a wider track? Different uprights, driveshafts, wheel offset's?

Not having much luck finding time to go out and look at any at the moment!