Sign in to follow this  
Dec

Dec's 1.8 16v Turbo project!

Yeah, it all went together surprisingly well (apart from those ****ing axle bushings which tried to kill me a couple of time and one knackered metal brakeline)!

Engine work has gone nowhere in the last two months tbh, as I said I barely went near the car at all :( I'm devoting this weekend entirely to working on the engine though. Not really that much to do...all just nasty/tricky little jobs that I have been putting off!

Yeah, it all went together surprisingly well (apart from those ****ing axle bushings which tried to kill me a couple of time and one knackered metal brakeline)!

Engine work has gone nowhere in the last two months tbh, as I said I barely went near the car at all :( I'm devoting this weekend entirely to working on the engine though. Not really that much to do...all just nasty/tricky little jobs that I have been putting off!

The 80/20 rule....the final 20% is always a bitch! :lol:

Wonder how much fun it have would have been fitting standard bushes LOL

Just done my fronts, all OK except the inner ARBs...real swines!

Yeah, I hope so!

I'm just filling in time really while I wait for the exhaust downpipe to come back from the welders (it's taking FAR longer than they said it would :roll: )

I've been tidying up a few parts around the engine and in the interior. I removed the dealer fit elec window mech that was an option on some of the early valvers, and replaced it with a proper O.E one. Dynamatted the inner and outer skins of the doors, fitted VDO oil and boost pressure gauges, fitted a rear strut-brace, built my own headlight loom to replace my last uprated one (worked nicely, but was a bit unsightly), fitted a Venair silicone coolant hose kit, and did a bit of tinkering with the engine.

Few pics to prove that I haven't completely been neglecting the car! (as usual) :lol:

Drivers door with the O.E electric window kit fitted. I also retrofitted a side impact bar to each door. This is with the outer door skin covered in sound deadening:

P1030169.jpg

Inner side of the doors is also covered. (also acts as the waterproof membrane)

P1030188.jpg

Speaker enclosures were done today, to try and stop the nasty VW plastic from vibrating so much!

P1030203.jpg

And I finally got the correct silicone couplers to get this tricky bit of inlet piping built. Had to get it around the radiator (removed in this pic), clear the pas reservoir, and up to the throttlebody. It took me a while to source the 2.25" -> 2.5" 90 deg adaptor for the IC and the 2.5" -> Vr6 throttlebody inlet piece. All in one piece now and the rad has been refitted and all filled with coolant.

P1030184.jpg

This is the engine a month or two ago. It has all the hoses and wires connected up now, and the silicone coolant hoses fitted!

P1020591.jpg

Promise that next time I update will have the engine running. :razz:

well done mate.

Looks like you are nearly at the finish line.

I hope to see/hear it about at one of the shows in the summer.

:thumbleft:

Skived off a conference I was supposed to be attending this afternoon to go and FINALLY pick up this bit of shiny pipe that has cost me SO much time and money! I fabricated all the pipework myself, and left it into the welders to actually get put together. Between one thing an another, it's been in and out of there for the last few weeks (my last mod to it was the external wg pipe linking to the main downpipe)

But it's finally back and looking pretty good! Everything all lines up perfectly and all the welds are pretty nice and have been polished out :cheers:

P1030242.jpg

P1030245.jpg

P1030251.jpg

P1030252.jpg

P1030253.jpg

Just need to get the grinder out and trim a small bit off the straight end of the pipe, as I purposely made that slightly too long.

Cheers guys! :D

Will hopefully be bolting it all back onto the car over the weekend. It does look like an interesting piece of modern art sitting in the corner of the living room at the moment though! :lol:

P1030251.jpg

I think I've just cum! :wave: :lol: :notworthy:

Good work, and by Christ has that taken a long time!!

Wow, that is fantastic :notworthy: Luvvin the Megaview as well 8)

Exhausts in!!

Needed to remove the rear subframe to get in in though! :mad2: And the exhaust section needed to be trimmed slightly to fit into the standard exhaust!

Going to re-wrap the turbo manifold tonight and get the last few bits bolted on tomorrow.

Exhausts in!!

Needed to remove the rear subframe to get in in though! :mad2: And the exhaust section needed to be trimmed slightly to fit into the standard exhaust!

Going to re-wrap the turbo manifold tonight and get the last few bits bolted on tomorrow.

:)

when do you think you will be ready for that turn key moment ?

Tomorrow hopefully! 8)

Just a case of bolting the turbo + manifold in. And then connecting the air pipes and oil lines up to it.

I've got the nice braided oil hoses all cut to length and the fittings attached to them, so they just need to be screwed in!

Any pics of where the subframe needed modding?

Did the wastegate/BOV thing clear ok? Looks like it sticks out a fair bit.

Ahh must have phrased that badly! It was the exhaust downpipe that needed a bit of grinder work, just on the very tip of it.

I had purposely made it slightly too long, so I needed to trim about 8cm off it. Then it was very tight trying to get it inside the orig exhaust. So I had to get the file out to get a good fit.

Subframe just needed to be dropped to get enough space to get the downpipe up into the engine bay. Not a pleasant job! :roll:

The wastegate fits just above the gearbox. It's a tight fit back there, but I spent ages making sure that it would fit before the downpipe got welded.

Ah, dropping the frame must be horrible! I remember trying to undo the rear mounts to swap a steering rack out from the back and it was completely :brickwall:

Good work with the build though :salute:

I wouldn't mind, but I've had the thing in and out a couple of times now!

Removed it first to refurb it and fit new wishbones etc etc. Then like a complete muppet I fitted the arb upside-down, and didn't notice until it was installed back in the car, so back out a 2nd time to put that back in properly. Then back out again today! :roll:

Well if the date's on this thread are right, your build has been going on for a few years? No point rushing it now for the sake of having it done at a push :salute:

p.s. My ARB looked identical/symmentrical :scratch:

Yeah, been going on for ages now!

I don't really get enough spare time to actually get much car work done, and it took a good while to research all the bits I needed (and more importantly finance them)! Has cost me a few grand at this stage, but at least I know that pretty much every component in the car is new! :shock:

Been a while....some sweet work going on there dude! :D

Down pipe looks awesome! 8)

Where did you acquire the pipework?

I ordered a pair of 45 deg + 180 deg mandrel bent stainless steel pipe sections in the US about a year back. Cant remember offhand where I got them from though. (Will need to dig through the pile of receipts to find out.)

I then spent ages, cutting and measuring each section to get a pipe that fit down through the narrow gap behind the block. Didn't think it was going to be possible at one stage, but I managed to squeeze it in!