Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

sub box waddings

ive been told to use some wadding in my audioscape sub box

i wondered is that like cusion padding from a fabric shop? and how mad do i go stuffing the box full??

what differance does it make?

I know it sounds stupid but I used to use the inside of old cheap pillows!, It does help make the bass a bit tighter and masks any rattles that may occur in the box!!

You want the box full, but not so tight that its difficult to push the sub in!!

Wadding absorbs box reflections and resonance, so the bass sounds deeper and more rounded instead of boxy and boomy.

What you want is a sqaure of egg box foam glued to the back of the box directly behind the magnet and then a layer of wadding (white stuff that looks like cotton) around the entire interior of the box.

Don't go too mad with it though as padding inside boxes gives the sub the illusion it's working in a bigger box and can ruin the sound if you use too much. Best to just experiment until you're happy.

The best sound absorber (e.g. wadding!) you can easily get hold of is spun fibreglass, as in roof insulation. Rockwool slabs are similar, and easier to handle, as they come in dense-ish slabs, and are available from B&Q, Wicks etc. More credible than going into a fabric shop anyway! You may have to buy a huge amount, but can always re-do the loft with the remainder. My experience is with reducing plant equipment noise levels, but I think it would probably do the job. It will cetainly reduce any resonant peaks and rattles. In fact, I'm going to go stuff mine now!

Phil

I use soft toy stuffing from a haberdashery and it only cost about a fiver. I can't honestly say it made any difference to the sound though.