Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

From K&N cone to original airbox

Just put my airbox back in and removed the K&N cone filter which was fitted when I got her. Much better now, I can hear myself think again! Dont get me wrong I like a noisy engine, but when the car is your daily drive it does get a bit too much somtimes. Not sure i can tell any power difference mind you. I did take all the front inlet tubing out of the airbox before fitting it. But i left the outlet trumpet in place so it correctly terminates the intake tract.

I also completely agree with kev. Some engineer somewhere probably spent a good amount of time designing the airbox and intake tract to be an optiumum design. Im not sure K&N have quite the same idea. Noise and style seem to be high on their specifications.

Where have you heard this helmholtz resonator increases torque kev? Im not saying your wrong but I have read that it can increase throttle response, but increase the intake noise?

Also if it does do you know how ?

It's not something I heard mate, it's something I felt!

Taking it off (on my car) just made a load of noise and ruined the throttle response. And that was tried on a standard engine and also with schrick and 268s. The helmholtz extends the inlet tract length (good for torque) and also creates a small baffle effect in the air box to help reduce noise.

Not all engines behave in exactly the same way though, but after many trials on mine, I found the BMC CDA was the only filter that made any noticable difference.

I even tried the cold feed into the bottom of the standard box trick - sod all difference. The air flowing in around the headlight delivers more than enough cold air. You need be driving at 120mph to get a 1psi pressure increase in the intake, so 'Ram' effect filters don't do much either really. Car and Car Conversions did extensive testing on it some years ago.

They also found that the factory boxes are generally better than aftermarket ones....simply because they understand their engines better than filter manufacturers do and know how to get the best from them and still be civilised. As said already, the BMC is the exception to that rule.

May get a BMC after all then if you rate it that much!

Will it make much difference if I have a cold air feed from the front up through the CC hole , or can I just rely on the headlight air?

Was also looking at the Carbonio kit which has a very long track and tucks into the wing I think.Have you heard much of these?

I'm going to get involved with a BMC after reading the above and ditch the current JR cone fitted almost a year ago.

I'm assuming it's the same kit for both the 2.8 and 2.9 VR engines?...

Anyone know the cheapest online store to get on from as well please?

Cheers,

Adam

Lol, I really missed the growl so shoved the K&N back on and thought I'll leave it till I get the BMC. Loved the sound of it but I noticed a lag in acceleration, after 3 days that lag I couldnt handle and so swapped it back for the original again, lol. Soooo cant wait till I get the BMC now...

I've been trying to find a BMC CDA from a number of places. Nowehere seems to sell them specifically for the Corrado, apparently they don't make them yet (not sure if it's just for 2L 16v or for all Corrados in general).

I've had a couple of places such as VW Gwent offer to make a custom fitting version if I give them some measurements on inlet pipes etc.

Has anyone who's already got a BMC CDA bought a version for the C that wasn't custom made? If so where did you get it from as I'd rather get a Corrado specific product from BMC than one thats been adapted to fit?

Also as there seems to be quite a few people interested in getting one of these, it might be worth setting up a group buy... I'll ask some of the places where I've been enquiring if they'll do a discount if we order more than one. If anyone knows any other places to get these for a reasonable price, please let me know.

The group buy sounds good mate.

I've seen what i'm assuming is a compatible BMC on the following sites:

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/ ... l?id=63990 (for Golk VR6)

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame- ... ilters.htm (this site mentions that some 'tailoring of the kit' may be required)

http://www.motorspeed.com/store_main.as ... gory_id=55

Any help from you guys with a BMC fitted would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Well done Dr Forinor. I hadn't forgotten about trying to organise this group buy but I wasn't having much luck. I hadn't managed to find anywhere cheaper than £175 so your deal with Stealth is much better. At least we know they're a good company too which was the other problem.

Has anyone here run their BMC cda without and then with the cold air feed fitted? Did you notice any difference in acceleration? I'm currently running it without the cold air feed fitted and it does sound nice. I was told by two top garages that not having the cold air feed will make hardly any difference unless in traffic, once moving it should be no different. Mine sounds perfect without the cold air feed. Not loud but a nice howl when at full throttle.