Sign in to follow this  
johnxl1s

calling 16valvers

Right, I've put it off for a while, but has anyone got any suggestions as to what might be causing the massively high consumption in my 'rado? It's a '95 2.0l 16v. It's been dropped about 1 1/2" inches at the front, and about 3/4" at the back (rough guess as it wasn't me who carried out the work but a previous owner), and does have a non-standard size exhaust (sounds lovely) and is running on 15" wheels as standard.

I can get 400miles out of a 15 gallon tank (average of 26.6mpg), but can never get it above that. Even resetting the MFA whilst moving at a constant 70, it soon drops back down to 26/27mpg.

I have cleaned out the airflow control unit (?) with brake cleaner (which solved the idle problem but not the consumption).

From reading the forums, I'm guessing that it might be the timing. However, before I take it to the garage, can anyone suggest anything that might be wrong?

If that's standard, then I'm happy to pay that price for owning it :) but if I can get better mpg then my bank would be happier....

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Tom

Don't rely on the MFA, a small vacuum problem could well screw up what it displays, fill the tank up, drive a few hundred miles and work out the mpg by hand, repeat this filling the tank to the top again and you should get a pretty regular figure for the average consumption. Weather and tyre pressures can make a few mpg difference and also tyre wear(affects gearing). Biggest killer would be the timing belt out a tooth or two and then someone fiddling with the base timing on the dizzy to try to compensate for the power loss/wrong advance. 16v's are crap on economy round town due to the weight coupled with the gearing and torque curve, but on a steady run you should get very good figures.

I can make near 40mpg on a long motorway run in warm weather and usually average at least 32mpg on mixed driving in my quite heavily modified 2L converted from a 1.8.

David.

Cheers for that David, I have a feeling that someone may have messed with the timing a few owners up the line, as even on manual calculation I'm still returning no more than about 27mpg. I'll double check my maths though :wink:

Thanks for the advice,

Tom

Doh! Cheers Dave, got my maths wrong after all. 418.7m for 12.562galls. A much more respectable 33.33mpg! One less thing to worry about, and I also now know that when the gague hits red, I've still got about 2 gallns left.

Cheers,

Tom

my 1.8 C returns 300-350 mostly around town driving and dodgy traffic... down here on the isle of wight it doesnt get much chance to stretch its legs!

I noticed a drop in fuel economy after I fitted the 17s....damn those 17s. Could be worse...my mate has got a '90 Golf GTi 8v that runs fine, doesn't smell strongly of petrol at all and does 12mpg on a slow run or 7mpg around town!

It was interesting to read the posts about Cavaliers earlier. I've always found Vauxhalls to be very frugal. Even my Astra GTE 16v used to return 40mpg average when driven in town and on crappy B-roads.....and it went like f*** too. Shame Vauxhall could only get the engine right.

I guess the thorn in the Corrado's side is it's weight ultimately. All that dodgy Karmann trim must be very heavy! :?

It's actually rather light in comparison to other cars. The official weight of mine is down as 1100kgs (From the CCGB site). A friend of mine has a 306 Rallye GTi6, super stripped out, drilled pedals, the lot; and still weighs in at 1236kgs. He was upset when I mentioned it though :)

I got a 1.8 16V and I only get 200-250 from a full tank. The only mods I have is a drilled airbox with k&n filter. Oh and thats driving around central london, but I still think its drinkin too much :cry:

I got a 1.8 16V and I only get 200-250 from a full tank. The only mods I have is a drilled airbox with k&n filter. Oh and thats driving around central london, but I still think its drinkin too much :cry:

That's definately too thirsty... :|

I've just put 53 litres of optimax in my car and had done 324 miles... Google and a calculator tells me that: 1UK gallon = 4.54609 litres

so: 53litres = 11.66 Gallons (tells me my fuel gauge is crap 'cos it was reading almost empty! :roll: )

324/11.66=27.79 MPG! 8)

And that's me blatting upto York and back (averaged 73mph! :oops: ) and going to work and back for 2 days sat in traffic... I'm well happy with that! 8)