Sign in to follow this  
goodridge

Charger Rebuild (Pics Inside!)

Decided to do something useful with my bank holiday weekend to and at the last minute, ended up down at RK Engineerings workshop to do a few jobs on the 60! My Bartek RS rebuild kit had been sitting around for a while and it was time to get it fitted........ Then got a bit carried away! Off came the charger for the strip down, everything washed and checked. To my delight the casings were all good and the scroll was ok apart from a couple of repairs by the Germans. Although I was not to bothered about this as the charger had done a fairly hard 30K miles since Mario rebuilt it before I got the car from Supergolfs nearly 18 months ago. And up to the time off the rebuild would produce a strong 16psi! Jeremy and Simon at RK had split several chargers before and done a couple of rebuilds so I was fairly happy everything was ok with their watchful eyes on me! The charger was totally standard, so it was out with the die grinder for some porting action! This is where it all got a bit out of hand! The charger recieved a good but sensible port job, as did the U-bend. While the car was in bits we also decided now was a good time to flush the intercooler and re-paint it, as well as flushing the radiator, fitting a slim-line Pacet fan I had, and removing the OE water-oil cooler to allow me easy access when changing the oil filter which had become incredibly tight since fitting my solid front engine mount. Bearing removal was pretty simple with the use of the waste oil burner exhaust for heat, and the freezer for cold, and all of the bearings were swapped with ease. The Bartek kit came with the SNR top bearings, all new circlips and stainless bolts as well as some rather thick Kluber grease. Once the whole lot was re-assembled it was then treated to a coat of silver paint, with the U-bend being picked out in black. After running the charger in for several hundred miles I have to say the result was well worth the few days spent up at RK!! She will now pull 12-13psi of boost almost instantly and has peaked at 17psi! To say I'm chuffed is an understatement! yahoo.gif yahoo.gif yahoo.gif Along the way I took some pics for your perusal! Hope it's of some interest to you guys.

John

The RH's are 16's, unfortunately a couple of them aren't that straight so if anyone knows of any others i'd love to know!!!!!

The wheels on the edition 1 are Keskin CR7's i think, 9x16 :D:D

Anyone wanting a brand new top of the pile Bartek full rebuild kit including the uprated SNR top bearings for a G60, give me a shout I've got one kit spare ! :)

The RH's are 16's, unfortunately a couple of them aren't that straight so if anyone knows of any others i'd love to know!!!!!

The wheels on the edition 1 are Keskin CR7's i think, 9x16 :D:D

Just CR 7's mate :wink: indeed 9x16 et 15 8)

Anyone wanting a brand new top of the pile Bartek full rebuild kit including the uprated SNR top bearings for a G60, give me a shout I've got one kit spare ! :)

Pm me a price matey :D :wink: