Sign in to follow this  
was8v

Fitting an Immobiliser

I'm competant with electrics, having previously done some domestic stuff and fault finding on cars.

I need an immobiliser fitted to my car - the insurance co don't care what type (it doesn't have to be cat 2).

I was thinking, rather than pay £125 to have one fitted, why not get a CAT 2 transpoder immob off ebay for ~£50 and have a go myself?

It looks easy - just wire to power and ground and then cut the fuel pump relay wire and starter wires behind the fuse box and wire to the immob circuits. Any tips on doing this?

Would this pass a Cat 2 inspection by a VSIB installer later if I change insurance co's? Any tips for passing this inspection?!

I really hate these things, but If I can install it my self I can remove it easily enough. My car looks to have had 2 of these fitted and removed previously.

I have read these insturctions - i guess other brands are the same? http://www.microscanalarms.co.uk/pages/mi600install.pdf

these systems are like you say fairly easy to fit , no real difficulties , just take your time and you shouldnt have any problems , now i fit allsorts of alarm and immobiliser systems to CAT 1 and CAT 2 to VSIB standards , the problem is most approved installers wont inspect cheap systems and a lot of companies wont give out a certificate unless they supplied or fitted the system , any problems then please feel free to pm me , hope this is some use to you :)

A local VSIB installer has signed off systems for me in the past for £20, so I hope it won't be a problem.

Thinking of a Toad (sterling?) Excel transponder system, theres a toad total closure alarm fitted to my C but it doesn't have immobiliser for some reason :s

Lottsy - have you got any recommendadtions on where to interrupt the wiring looms?

I'm not going for maximum security here - just enough to please a VSIB installer should it need to be inspected.

hi mate sorry its taken a while to get back to you , broke me computer , anyway the toad systems are not bad and fairly simple to fit as i recall , i would make all the connections at the fuse box like you say it makes it very hard for anyone to quickly bypass the systems also make sure that the control module is well hidden the deeper under the dash the better , make sure that all the looms are well taped up and secured properly also if you can solder all the joints as scotch locks are rubbish and do fail causing non start problems , if you carnt solder them and you have no choice to use scotch locks make sure you tape them up well , also make a note on a bit of paper as to which wire does what so if you need to remove or look for a non start problem you wont have to spend ages trying to trace wires . hope this helps if you need any more advice or you have any problems please just ask . cheers mate and have fun fitting your system :D