Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

another brake issue

hi all i am soon getting new pads and discs on the front of the C as she is squealing really badly at the moment! but what i was actually wondering was!

what is causing the brakes to squeal and is there anything i can do to stop it ! I've already re- coppered greased the outer side of the pads! but this hasn't done anything really!

Are the pads shiny?? If so take them off and sand them down, bed them back in again...

Could be caused by not bedding in properly, sticky calipers or faulty pads...

hi all i am soon getting new pads and discs on the front of the C as she is squealing really badly at the moment! but what i was actually wondering was!

what is causing the brakes to squeal and is there anything i can do to stop it ! I've already re- coppered greased the outer side of the pads! but this hasn't done anything really!

It can be caused by the edge of the pad rubbing against the rusted and pitted edge of the disk, disks often wear unevenly too, making noise more likely. It's not really worth re-facing the disks. When fitting new pads I tend to very slightly shamfer the edges of the new pad, just so it's not sharp and I don't then seem to get any problems with noise whether the disks are new or old.

David.

ok mate thanks im gonna get some cheap shitty pads just for 3 weeks untill i can buy my new discs and pads as the noise is driving me crazy when you say about the edges does this mean with some sand paper?

also do you think it is definately the brakes?

supercharged if you do have sticky calipers how do you sort this?

He means file the top and bottom edges of the pad at 45 degrees. This also makes sure the new pads sit 100% flat on the existing disc. With new pads and discs, it's not so important. If you chamfer the side edges, it usually does reduce squeal. Dealer pads come ready shaved, as do pagid FRs.

thaks for advice lads how can you tell if the caliper is sticking coz this brake squeal is a constant when i havent even got the brakes on! if that makes sense! cheers

Ive got a new squeek on mine too; yet they are older pads. Ive checked the pad depth and all seems ok and the discs are barely worn - is this just a case of cheap pads fitted by previous owner?

Usually a sticky caliper will slow down which ever axle it's connected to, is the car pulling to one side? The constant squealing kind of sounds like a caliper could be sticking....or have you checked for stones trapped behind the splash guard? I had a right old rock stuck in there once and it squealed like a b1tch for ages! It left a right tasty score in the disc too! So off with the splash guards, useless damn things. They're only there to stop a split CV gaiter dumping it's load onto the brakes anyway.

Anyway, where was I? Yes, squealing.....

Hang on until you've got you're new discies and see what's what when you take it all apart. You might want to arm yourself with a caliper rebuild kit too, just in case, they're not much money.

My pads squeal like a b'stard mate, doesn't bother me tho, so long as they stop!

do yours do it while your driving along thou matey or only under breaking! i will check that splash gaurd actually as it has scored my disc also that guard is only at the back of the brake? did it score the back of your disc then?

no pulling on the car thou she's still straight and true!

its just pissing me off!

kev could it be the disc has warped or would this have no issue with squealing!

Yeah the stone effectively wrecked the inboard side of the disc mate.

When I'm driving at slow speeds with no brake pressure, I can hear the pads brushing the disc very slightly, which gives a metallic scuffing noise, but that's a good noise as it means the caliper pistons are retracting nicely.

When I press the pedal lightly at traffic speeds and when the brakes are heated through, it's squeal central!

The noise makes pedestrians look where they're going tho, so it's a good thing :-)

ok will take the brakes apart again! the only problem is that my score was actually on the side you can see physically but the score has now gone since i dissassembled the brake last time!

kev could it be the disc has warped or would this have no issue with squealing!