Sign in to follow this  
PBSTORM

Poor Handling!

Bit of strange one this.

Replaced the 2 rear tyres over the weekend as they were MOT failures, and ever since the handling has seriously got worse!

The new tyres are Vredestein Sportrac's.

Could these new tyres be to blame?

But then again, surley anything would be better than 2 bald Potenza's!!

Could these new tyres be to blame?

tyres can make a hell of a difference, i swopped some continental sport contact jobbies for pirelli p6000 and that transformed the ride completely for the better on my bora, sometimes i have noticed that it takes a little while for the tyre to `bed` in and slightly wear the squareness off the shoulder on the front tyres if that makes any sense :thumbleft:

I would say you definitely need to get that checked out.

You could end up with bald Vredesteins in a couple of weeks - or worse.

The guy at the garage told me Vredesteins were a good tyre?

Anyone even heared of them?!!?

Cos I haven't!

Vreds are well known brand. Very fussy/biased sporty drivers on here may not like them - I cannot say.

You should get the suspension/wheel alignment ("geometry" as gaz says.)

checked and adjusted using modern sophisticated equipment.

VW garages will probably do it best but it will not be the cheapest. I had a GTI Mk2 done by them when the new equipment first appeared and it made a great difference.

Probably cost effective to get VW to do it at least once while you own car.

Pardon my stupidity, but ehat exactly do you reccomend I get checked over?

your not stupid fella, you probaly need to get the wheels alignment checked ( 4 wheel preferably) and make sure the toe in / toe out are ok and the camber and castor angles are ok

PBstorm - I gotta agree with 'double' and gaz. Baldy tyres are almost like slicks in the dry and could possibly give great grip.

Changing to a new tyre always feels odd for a few reasons. Firstly they may need bedding in a touch to get rid of that plasticy feel. Then you gotta realise that the new tyre will have several mm of tread, which means more movement and less stability (but much better water ditching).

I presume no other changes were made to the car??? Otherwise, if you did change other things, then maybe they could be the cause?

In addition to this, what were your old tyres like? If they had uneven wear, then maybe your camber/tracking was already out of skew. Then putting on new square tyres would in effect mean you're running on the knife edge. This would certainly be a suspision if you had the car lowered; or different alloys put on.

It might just be the make of tyre. I've noticed my dunlops are lasting kind of okay, whereas the Toyo proxes lasted about 8000 mile (yes those felt grippy). Maybe worth checking your tyre pressures too and seeing what a few psi difference makes.

Hope that helps, Stu

pb_storm id simply go back tio the garage put the emphasis on them and let them deal with it!

you can go on mytyres.co.uk and then go to tyre reviews and the verdstiens will be on there im sure there quite good and well respected in germany! not 100% thou fella!

stu = were your proxes t1-s or t1-r?