Sign in to follow this  
tarche2

Does my car have a cat???

1990 1.8 16v! I am looking at stainless exhausts. Do I need a catback system or do I need a cat bypass pipe aswell??? I am so confused? :? :?

yeah but can I use a cat back system if I dont have a cat??? Poeple are saying I need the car replacement pipe aswell!

If your car is fitted with a cat from standard you can fit the cat back system, but as Dr Forinor said its only legal requirement for cars from 1993 onwards, so can be removed from pre '93 cars.

Take it off and it should free up a couple of bhp, plus it'll only rot and then you'll have to either fork out for a new one or fit a bypass pipe.

The cat back system is exactly that, from the cat backwards - the bypass pipe is the same length as the cat and fits where the cat would be, completely replacing it.

1990 1.8 16v! I am looking at stainless exhausts. Do I need a catback system or do I need a cat bypass pipe aswell??? I am so confused? :? :?

1) You don't have a cat, no 1.8 16v's did.

2) You can't use a cat back system on a 1.8, even with a de-cat pipe as it won't mate up to your downpipe and even if you swap that for a 2.0 16v downpipe (intended to mate up to a cat) you'll find that the hangars on your car are the hook type and won't support the bar type hangars on the catalysed cars/systems.

I short, you need a system designed for a 1.8 16v.

David.

2) You can't use a cat back system on a 1.8, even with a de-cat pipe as it won't mate up to your downpipe and even if you swap that for a 2.0 16v downpipe (intended to mate up to a cat) you'll find that the hangars on your car are the hook type and won't support the bar type hangars on the catalysed cars/systems.

David.

Which doesnt exist!!!!! According to every vw supplier I have spoken with! So whatr the f**k am I meant to do???? :(

David.

Which doesnt exist!!!!! According to every vw supplier I have spoken with! So whatr the f**k am I meant to do???? :(

TSR do a Jetex stainless for the 1.8 (Listed as pre 92), not sure if the Miltek or Supersprint are stainless though.

http://www.tsr-performance.com/

tarche2, i`ve got stainless on mine janspeed, not to everyones taste but its been fine for 5 years

or get one made up by the likes of powerflow etc

custom full system is the way i went.

goes from the exhaust manifold back, replaced middle and rear silencers, new pipes and hangers for £340

Well after much research it appears only one company make an exhaust for my car! Jetex. All the others appear to need other pipes made up to cover the area the cat should be. Thanks to Vince from stealth! So thats on my list of purchases now.

Thanks

Tony

got mine from demon tweeks and it was the only listed system back then

worth a look now to see if they got any others