Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

UK registered Corrado, rolled at the Nurburgring

Feck, Ill be there in 4 weeks time on two wheels. Wish me luck.

my parents know a couple who run a small hotel in Belgium, the owner used to live in the UK but moved over there and is a bike instructor around the 'Ring (including the Nordschleife). don't know if you have accommodation sorted, but Neil and Anne are both motorsport nuts if you need somewhere. check out http://www.aeadventures.com if you're interested.

Cheers, nothing planned as we are heading past the ring on the way back from Mugello from the Motogp.

All the guys were just wanting to go for a gander but its I feel like its one of those things that you just have to do. Im not worried about myself going to fast but more by someone else taking me out.

Lads the ring can be a killer, i have only been there twice and both times seen some serious scares

the 911 that crashed at easter was a 993 rs, he hit the barrier hard and took the right front out of the car, it split the barrier and came back accross the track, it didnt kill any bikers but there were 2 bikers off up the road and may have been put off by the crash.

That corrado crash is a very heavey one, they lads are luckey they didnt get thrown out, it also looks as if they didnt hit the barrier so they are not going to be charged for that.

It is a testament to the cars inherant strength, i assume the double skin panels help this.

As Kev rightly said any sort of a cage is a good idea for any car to be tracked, i have a bolt in Wiechers jobby for my g60 and that will be at the ring soon.

As for the ring and speed, you are a fool if you try and go fast, it is all about lines as sokme of the local boys say.

There is a lads who lives near there and has an e34 m5 track car, it is insane to watch going round(perspex windows, cut out door frames, solid suspension, slicks etc) well he has an mtm tuned mk5 gti now which is standard except for a remap and some better pads and its an 8.30 ish lap car just because he knows the track.

The key is to learn the corners, then the speed comes, i was going quick in the few corners i know, but if someone comprimises your line coming in there is no margin for error(approx 6 feet of grass on most sections till the armco)

I have had a few close calls myself and a mate wrote off a rental 5 siers this year, thats why i would advise taking a rental car for the first couple of visits because you wont push it as hard as a car you know.

My 2cents or ramblings :lol:

I am going back the end of may all going to plan

here is a track pic for any of you to see the location, it is driven in a clockwise direction

Holy crap that looks nasty!!!

It always amazes me that people manage to come away from something like that relatively unharmed

car took the impact very very well, glad the driver was ok

@stokesay, were you in it or do you know the owner?

car took the impact very very well, glad the driver was ok

@stokesay, were you in it or do you know the owner?

My brother was over there at the time, and the Corrado driver lost it after overtaking one of his mates who was driving an Elise. His mate was first on the scene and managed to wrench the door open to get the driver out.

thats a very very fast section, somewhere between 80 and 100

on the way in there is a dip and if you dont have the line you need to kill the speed to make it round otherwise the car will get all light on the way round the bend and you will have to brake with the arse in the air.....

poor bastard and very lucky to walk away

That looks like the bend at the top of the foxhole, "Aremburg" which has that nasty bend/crest just before it. One of the worst corners on the circuit.

That's super nasty - Corrado seems to be pretty tough for it's age - wonder how many stars in the crash testing it would get. Scary - I wouldn't be horsing it round the 'ring - I quite like my limbs and as Niki Lauda could testify - the circuit bites!

damn, that's nasty! I so didn't want it to be true.

The only thing that's been keeping me away from the ring is a rollcage. I wouldn't dream of taking any car on that track without one.

I'd stick to the PS2 games or whatever -would never forgive myself if I twatted a beautiful rado or myself/someone else trying to prove something on a track.