Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Radiator

Radiators gone and I need a replacement! :mad:

Ive already looked at GSF and ECP, I was just wondering knows where I might be able to buy a recon unit for less than £100!

I live in Sussex ,but is doesnt matter to much as I can wait for a delivery.

If anyone can help let me know cheers !

Guys - just get new ones from VW - about £130 if you get good discount and far superior quality than anything else!

Manufacturer Image Part No Description Stock *Price

GERMAN n/a 203440350 RADIATOR CORRADO 2.9 VR6 88-95 £103.95

Phoned up VW today and the rads are £179.20 inc :shock:

This is a bit to much for me as Ive still got tappets and things to buy for the engine transformation coming soon!

I think I might go with ECP or try that fella in Germany on Ebay.

got a copper rad a couple of years ago and got charged 225 for it as the guy rang VW and at that time a genuine rad was 229+vat - suspect it actually cost

I think the rad on ebay might be copper as its painted all black?

Ordered one from ECP for £132 delivered. Im going to replace the thermostat with a Neuspeed lower temp item.Also replacing the fan switch with a lower temp cut in. I will be using 2 bottles of G12 + water mix.

It'll be interesting to see how the temps are afterwards?

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw%20golfmk3/engine.html

Right after loads of hassle getting the rad from ECP I wish I never now and forked out for an oe one! :mad:

The one ECP supplied is copper core and I don't really want to fit it after hearing stories of them rotting after two years or so! So the car is going to stay of the road for a little longer while I send back and get a refund , without to much trouble I hope. I will order myself a alloy VW rad which my pride and joy deserves!

The rad did come out without to many probs, and yes it was tight!

Here's a few pics!

As you can see that the frame were the rad sits is in rather good condition, as Ive heard that some have problems with corrosion!

how did you get the rad out mate?? i think me and amate are gonna have a go. any pointers. cheers. see my thread does this look like an 18 month old rad to see how mullered mine is and looks same as ecp part

Right it wasn’t as hard as thought it was going to be!

Ill try to explain step by step.

1: First of all yes, take the battery out. If you’ve got an alarm ,switch the siren off with the key if you have it to stop yourself blowing your ear drums off when it’s reconnected! Plus also if you have a coded stereo make sure you have that code!

2: Take the reservoir cap off and jack the passenger side front up to get to the bottom hose. Used some big swan neck grips to release the pipe spring clip and move up the pipe. Put a suitable container under to catch as much fluid as possible and wiggle the pipe off from above and drain the water.

3: Disconnect the top pipe the same way. Remove the 10mm bolts holding the rad to the slam panel using brackets that just wiggle out of the rad using some pliers to help maybe.

4: Remove headlights and grill for access. Remove the six screw bolts on the slam panel to give a bit of movement.

5: Disconnect the plug to the fan and move the cable out of the way. Undo the four screw bolts holding the fan housing to the rad. You should now with some patients pull the rad fans and housing etc out towards the battery and up.

6: Now undo the cowling on the front of the rad, two on left and on the right. You can get to the top bolt on the right but not the bottom. To get to the bottom bolt remove a 8mm bolt at the bottom of the cowling. You will now but able to lift the rad out of its locating holes and move it over to gain access to the bottom bolt.

7: That should be the last bolt holding it in, disconnect the rad switch, if you want remove it, I did it might get in the way. Now wiggle and jiggle the rad out the same way the fans came out towards the battery.

When I put the new one in I protected the fins by selotaping a piece of cardboard on both sides of the rad and removed when in place.

By the way I ended up sending back the rad from ECP as I wasn’t happy with the quality, and got myself a shiny new VW one ,which worked out about £25 more than the c**p one after delivery. I got the rad from my local dealer so no postage and got a 12.5club discount nice! :)

Ill post some pics when I get home.

i had a look and thought about just removing the slam panel as i don't know how tyo do the alarm thing as it is some fancy clifford thing(came with the car). it loos like just 4 screws????