Sign in to follow this  
Lemon

Noisy fuel pump, jumpy running, HELP!!!

Hi, I have only just made it home after my C (1.8 16v) jumping all over the place. I think the car is being starved of fuel. Fuel pump assembly under the rear of the car is buzzing like mad (although that was all replaced only 2000 miles ago). Is there a lift pump in the fuel tank and could that cause it??? Or could it be the fuel injection. Any one else had this problem??? Any help gratefully received as I want to take the pride and joy out for a drive.

First change the fuel filter.... its one item that is over looked - if the fuel pump is still buzzing loudly then replace it.... as it may be defective.

Thanks for your comments so far. I did replace the fuel filter at the same time, that is the large one next to the pump??? I have read if the lift pump in the fuel tank goes it can cause the main pump to buzz as it is overworking??? Thought this may help you with the diagnosis. Thanks again for oyur help.

With no posts in 3 years i assume this thread is dead.

So can i ressurect as I've got the same problem. Had given the car to a garage who's had it for a month without fixing my problem. So think I'll have to do it myself. Its a 1.8 16v Corrado.

Same symptoms, noisy fuel pump, lots of jumping, kangaroo'ing making it undriveable. The garage said they changed the fuel pump and still had the same problem so they put back in the old buzzing one!

I actually am leaning towards the idea that it could be something electrical as when i turn on the headlights it changes the noise coming from the fuel pump as if it's under more pressure and so cant deliver the fuel to the engine... and it's intermittant as well i.e. it might start fine and idle fine for 5 mins but then suddenly I'd hear a different noise from the fuel pump (under drivers door) and start kangarooing.

For my own sanity i suppose i should start and change the fuel filter and fuel pump first like the previous messages in this thread suggest...

Just wondering if anybody else had the same or similar problem?

Also where is the fuel filter in the 16v?

And I know there is two fuel pumps but where are each of these located?

and which fuel; pump is thr troublesome one!

Sorry for all the questions!!!

Thanks very much for any help,

Pat

You'd kind of expect a garage to perform a fuel pressure test before they go ahead and change the fuel pump really...wouldn't you?! I certainly would.

Thats what i thought, have lost all faith... If you want a job done...

Anyway is the lift pump one of the two fuel pumps? and where is the fuel pump relay located?

Cheers, yeah interesting but not so sure the symptoms are the same as mine! Dont suppose you know where I can get a fuel pump relay? think it should be the first thing i replace to see if its having an influence?

Cheers

pat

Well my car had the kangaroo problem as well, it also had a tendecy to lose all power where my foot would be to the floor and the car would not rev past 2000 rpms, I replaced fuel filter and it some what fixed the problem and what it ended up being was a very dirty MAF. Id try cleaning that, might fix the kangaroo

Cheers for that, Aonther thing to check out. Where is the MAF? Is there much to cleaning it? I presume its take it off and clean out with petrl or something?

Well on a vr6 i know its right next to the airbox lol, u pull it out and clean it with MAF cleaner, nothing else from what iv heard, u dont want to damage it, some one else on here might know

I had this problem on my mk2 golf 16v. Had fuel filter changed, no different, had main fuel pump changed no difference (also bloody expensive), pi55ed me off because the kangarooing was pretty violent and caused driving to be dangerouse.

finally found out that there's a lift pump in the tank, was a cheap replacement and sorted out the problem

Thanks for that.

Tried 2 different relays last saturday. I tried it with a number 67 relay and also a number 167 relay. (I think the 167 might be for VRs or something, ????) but I had both so I tried them both with no effect. I still have the erratically sounding fuel pump buzz which changed when I turned on/off the lights.

I think the next thing to change is the lift pump Which is the in-tank fuel pump.

So my next question is where I can get a replacement lift pump? Do GSF or euro-car-parts have them? Part numbers?

Have many people done this job before? Any hiccups?

Cheers

Pat

ok went at this last night but ran out of light when trying to figure out how to get the lift pump out of its assembly! There is a clip around the pipe out of the lift pump that i cannot figure out how to remove...

any help? It's circled in the pic...

Thjats just one of the factory type clips, some clip over themselves to lock others just need to be cut off and replaced really - you can sometimes get a screwdriver in and work them off but in this case your more likely to break the plastic assembly...

OK the update on this thread....

Changed the relay and then changed the lift pump, and then the fuel filter as well, main fuel pump is still very noisy though so I'll be changing that soon too hopefully. Have been driving it at weekends and I havent had the kangooring problem since although I'm not 100% convinced its gone as it was a quite intermittant problem.

So todays question is this:

I took a pic of the main fuel pump location and in particular the square part thats making the very loud buzzing noise even with a brand new filter. But what is what in this pic??? The new Fuel filter is on the left, but if the square buzzing part is the fuel pump then what is the cylindrical part next to it that the fuel filter is connected to? Does it get replaced with the fuel pump too?

Cheers

P.

what is the cylindrical part next to it that the fuel filter is connected to? Does it get replaced with the fuel pump too?

Cheers

P.

Hi

It is the fuel acumulator