Sign in to follow this  
Riley

mmmm,two diffarent early headlight switches? :?

ok...my headlight switch broke so i replaced it with a spare i had,all good :) until i realised sommet wasnt quite right...

flicking on the sidelights,no probs.

from sidelights to low beam,no probs. :)

but when going from low beam,back down to the sidelights,the low beam stays on :? ! i have to knock the switch fully off,and then back to sidelights.

so ive just compared em,can you spot the two differences? and whats the crack? :?

cheers,neil.

headlightswitchearly.jpg

thats the weird thing dave,i checked on etka and both part numbers come up as corrado/scirocco 89-95 :?

part numbers are the same except a B on the end of one.

have you noticed the missing pin on the bottom row?

neil.

Yeah, spotted that, just can't work out what it would do.

What is actually broken on your old switch, could you use the spare switch for parts to fix the original one?

on the old switch theres a little metal contact broken off from the slidy white plastic thing,if ya know what i mean :? :lol:

but this metal contact is also missing in the other switch...they are totally different inside :?

can anyone tell me what pin 56d does? and also the one marked NSL?

cheers,ill have a more detailed look tommorow.

neil. :)

edit:oh,and does anyone else have a switch that does the above in my first post?

My 1990 16v does the same thing with the sidelights and so does my mate's 1990 16v. I always thought that was strange.

The one with a B at the end is the UK one for cars with Dim-Dip headlights - if the other one is the new then they've ordered the wrong part...

ahh i see...i didnt think the switch would be any diffarent? or maybe it sends voltage to the dim/dip resistor? (yellow thing)

i tried swapping the insides over in the switches,no go! when i turned the lights on all my stero etc went on one! :shock:

yellow=missing pin.

blue=extra pin on the inside only :?

green=the broken bit.

purple=diffarent positioning of contacts,reason why they wont swap over i think.

grey=tried this part in other switch,no go!

headlightswitchesdifference.jpg

weird eh?

i tried swapping the insides but it didnt work :(

its just the white plastic things that are stopping me i think,if they were similar i could swap the metal pins over (really need the blue one) but they are totally diffarent.

neil.

Is the switch from another country? It sounds like a safety thing, a bit like volvo's always having their sidelights on. I've got an italian heated rear window switch and a german one both work as there's only 1 function, but that may be whats up with the headlights.

Passat switches have the dimmer mounted horizontally, rather than vertically like on C, so it isn't a Passat one.

I've got two spare switches plus the one in the car. I'm gonna have to pull 'em all apart now just to see if they're the same!