Sign in to follow this  
ReekieVR

Blown Focal tweeter

Bought a set of polyglass 130v2 in a group buy last year. They are great and now the mids are sitting in some nice Audioscapes i am a happy lad. One of the tweeters has just died on me for no reason tho !

Are they known for not lasting long? Standard sony 35w headunit and no extra amps.

Any ideas if you can purchase the tweeters separately?

Ive got the same speakers and 1 blown tweeter as well. Let me know if you find anywhere that sells them seperate or make an offer on my working one and ill have a think...

Have emailed the only official Focal presence i can find in the UK - their Coventry distribution center. Will let you know how i get on.

Update: Focal -UK say that all their car audio products are now handled by BBG Distribution Ltd ( http://www.bbg-av.com). Have enquired if i can purchase single TN-47's. Or even get the blown 1 replaced.

let you know etc

I have a couple of tweeters which were never fitted on my audioscape build, I could put pics up this evening. pm me. there are just in the box in the garage

Ray Smith hifi is my closest dealer and he says they are only avail in pairs. No replacement under warranty ( turns out i have had them for 2.5 years !). Anyway here they are : http://www.raysmith.co.uk/TN-47/ £72 a pair.

Woody what make/spec were the ones you had floating around?

JoeM - we can go halfers if you want a new one or i can just offer you some money for your old one....... Let me know if either option is a goer.

I guess you two guys are both running the Focals off a standard head unit and both like them loud??

The problem will be that you are not giving them a clean signal when you turn up the volume. The standard head unit amp will start to clip as you get it turned up, which WILL very quickly knacker your speakers. What you rally need is a separate amp. I know guys who are running focals off a 250Watts / channel amp and they sound great. when i had my 136v's installed the installer said that all focals LOVE power, the more the better, and you will never get another problem....

Mark

Have you spoken the James at Audioscape Reekie? He might be able to exchange the speakers under warranty.

It isn't common for them to blow but as said already, running the headunit into clipping will kill speakers quicker than over powering them.

Your 35W headunit will actually be closer to 18W RMS in reality and the mids will soak up most of that. Ignore the max output figure as it's usually with 10

istortion (wave form clipping) for a very short period.

No i havnt Kev. As i say they are 2 half years old and were part of a group buy. I didnt even pay James direct so i dont think its a goer.

I think you and mbaker8v have a point. I need an amp. Its a bit of a coincidence that the tweeter dies just after my pods are in and i am cranking it up to spot buzzes and rattles......

consider a genesis amp mate , thats what i run with the pods and focals and sounds sooo sweet

(and a vibe sub :-) )

no no no no no no and NO!!!!

They would probably do, wit hthe clarion being my choice, but to really get those Focals to sing you need to put more grunt into them.. Personally I am looking at 100W RMS into my focals as i am just looking for my amps.

How about htis, would sound soo much better, and if yo uwant to expand later on also makes a kick arse sub amp

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product ... ts_id=4714

Appreciate the advice guys.

I have spotted [url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1000W-2-CHANNEL-BRIDGEABLE-MOSFET-AMPLIFIER-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ9730622544QQcategoryZ18796QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemhttp://this on ebay for a reasonable amount of cash. It has a line out so i can utilise an amp and sub in the boot from my single line out from the head unit.

Ya or nay ?

Sorry ReekieVR, thought id replied to this already. Yeah, im happy to half in for a pair of tweeters, just pm me about how u want to arrange it.

Mine were running off the headunit, but i never have it on at the sort of volume that would damage the speakers.