Sign in to follow this  
BlackHeartValentine

Name That Noise!! ver. 1.1

Okay, So I have been thinking that I had an exhaust leak due to some jumpyness of power and loss there of...the guy I bought the car from said he unplugged the O2 sensor cause it was runnin harsh, so I got down and checked it out and it was still there and plugged in, so I scratched meh head,

Then, last night I was driving it on the highway and I herd of this way to burn off some junk from your exhaust by redlining it in 2nd & then in 3rd for a few seconds...so i was trying this out but never got to redline but just before I got to redline the power jumped up and started bouncing so I switched gears...then when I get close to my house I hear this like rattle coming from underneath...It's like if the car is in 2nd going 15 mph and I bearly push the gas down I can hear this rattle (marbles in a bag kind of rattle or crickets/frogs at night rattle)...then Today the sound is louder!

What is this? Is it the Catalytic Converter? How do I remove the Cat if thats the prob? Halp!!

Could be the cat heat shield.

Also check all the bolts on the engine, when I had a G60 the alternator bolt came loose once and sounded like that.

Jay

yeah i had this on my old G60, as above it was the heat shield rattling about. just get someone to put their head under the car while you rev it. take it out of gear obviously!!

okay, well, its not the cat or the heat sheild making the noise...nor is it the altenator bolts (they were loose though) the power steering pump bolt was also loose, so I pulled it down and tightened it up and no more noise!

well done mate ive just checked mine out for the same type of noise and it was the same thing , so you've saved me a bit of time looking , thanks buddy :D

lottysvdub, Sorry to say this, but the noise came back and it wasn't the power stearing pump...it was a bent/damaged valve...I am replacing the head next weekend :( but then I am rebuilding the old one with a nice port and polish...bigger valves, w/e it needs to be a screamer! :D that is unless its beyond f'd