Sign in to follow this  
g60bv

AHHHH FITTED NEW HEAD. NOW CAR WONT FIRE.

i'm a little cheesed off.

fitted new head. put everything back on. checked timing a million times. set up cam and dizzy as off the fly wheel. got spark. but no bang.. i'm pretty sure i've got fuel. as after cranking it for 30 seconds you can smell fuel in the garage.

really fed up.. is there any one here how could do a hime visit.

i have tea and biscuits for any one willing. i'm in redhill.

erm. no haven't checked. havent got a compression tester.

but when i was taking the head off. it did manage to catch the back of the alternator on the charger. a brief spark-bang.

i've checked all the fuses all ok.

why wouldn't i have compression..?. the engine was fine before the work.

why wouldn't i have compression..?. the engine was fine before the work.

something must fundamentally wrong, i`d be tempted to get back to basics and ensure the number 1 piston was at tdc and see if the cam and distrubiter all line up

I don't know why you wouldn't have compression, it was just an idea. It seems to me that fuel is making it out of the exhaust if there are no leaks and the garage smells of petrol after a bit of cranking. Add to this a spark and you should be getting some sort of firing even if it's in the exhaust.

I would think its definatly a wiring issue. Have you connected all the earths back to the side of the head (Coolent Flange) also worth checking is the wiring to the blue CTS as if this has become damaged it may cause the car from starting.

i have checked wiring. all looks to be there. althou i could be missing something

do you have to 'prime' the fuel rail. ?

i have checked all the earths. . i'll cheak it all again tomoz after a good nights sleep.

tomoz i will check fuel. and sparks again. oh and the blue cts. coolent temp senor. - guessing. ?.

I don't know why you wouldn't have compression, it was just an idea. It seems to me that fuel is making it out of the exhaust if there are no leaks and the garage smells of petrol after a bit of cranking. Add to this a spark and you should be getting some sort of firing even if it's in the exhaust.

well this is it. it MUST ignite something. it must be a fueling thing.? i can smell fuel. i 'm going to take the plugs out tomoz and crank it over. see if i can get fuel out.. maybe hold a lighter by the plug hole. hehe

althou when i was taking the head off. i just rolled the alterternator over. and managed to to catch a screwdriver on the live across to the charger. i have checked all the fuses. all ok. could it have spiked the ecu.???

If you have a spark, which you said you do in your 1st post, and you can smell petrol (i assume you can hear the fuel pump), only other thing it can be is your timing is wrong...like bcstudent said, check compression, if the cam timing is wrong you will have no or low compression. If you think thats right, have you tried turning the dizzy back and forth as someone is cranking the engine over for you?

we wipped the head off. found the valves staying open. but only when the cam is in. odd. giving no compression at all.

f*@~~##~:@^$

no lifter were free. well i think. they all span freely and returned ok. the heads gone back to a well known company. i shall let you all know the out come

how do you rebuild them.? and how long do they last, ?these where vag ones 8k ago. and some are a bit spongy when pressed. others are rock hard. odd.

So there wasn't any compression? I'm a freakin' genius I tell thee. Shame I can't diagnose my own damn problems!

you lucky son of a bit@h. you were spot on. i really couldn't belive it. a bit cheesed off having to take the head off again.- now have 2 sets of scabs on my arms from the exhaust nuts. blimin things.

but to see the valves open by 5mm each even thou off cam. we removed the cam and they all shut. put a std cam in and they opened up again,

either the heads not put to gether correctly or the lifter are shot. after 8k.?

2 sets of scabs on my arms from the exhaust nuts. blimin things.

And now I ve have no arm hair and 2 fecking great burn blisters on my hands, eye lashes are a bit shorter too LOL

that was sooo funny,

again thank you ant for helping out.

and setting fire to your self.

It was quite funny, but I was feeling this morning working in the kitchen, fingers were caning like a b*tch and I can still smell singed hair even after 2 showers.

that was sooo funny,

again thank you ant for helping out.

and setting fire to your self.

No problem mate at least you can stop the head scratching now the problems been solved or should I say diagnosed!